RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I think this is my first post (or at least in a long while). I have an '02 RC51 and while riding, it seems like one cylinder will not get fuel or spark. It will bog out and smell fuel and an occasional backfire. It seems to be an issue when the bike is warm and the problem is intermediate. I checked the batter connections, and the FPR valve trick. Before tackling and troubleshooting, anyone have any ideas to point me in the right direction?? I did a search on here for 'engine cuts out' and didn't see anything that may lead me in the right direction.ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
Thanks,
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
So one cylinder goes from smelling overly rich to then backfiring?
Sounds like one cylinder is losing and then regaining spark.

I'd check if your plug wire is connected to the plug tip securely, and if the plug wire itself doesn't have breaks in it.
It may also be an ignition coil breaking down or having an intermittent open in the winding when it gets warm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it gets rich, one of my buddies was benhind me and smelled it. It sounds electrical, since a fuel pump or fuel system probably wouldn't be intermediate. I checked the plug wires to see if they were seated, seemed good. I'm going to disassemble further tmw and check the coils, and replace the plugs, since they're prob fouled now anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i pulled the plugs and they looked decent enough for me not to even know which cylinder is cutting out. going to replace them anyway. the only problem i ran into was that the rear plug wasnt in as tight as i put it in. almost could have removed it by hand. didnt see any blow by on the plug so... coils next and any other ideas from anyone would be helpful. been reading the manual i have, but not real descriptive about troubleshooting. thanks guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took the bike for a ride, and it seems to occur when hitting bumps, is this an occurance that anyone has run into? i'm kind of new to working with the RC.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Check your wire harness under the rear of your tank, my bet would be a pinched harness there, and a broken wire, I had this problem, I was blowing the FI fuse on really hard bumps. Found it right away, just solder the wire back together if you can find a broken one.
I then cut a piece of pvc pipe about 2 " long, cut it down the middle so it opened up, put that on the main loom, and put big size heat shrink on it, works and look great. Then re installed the tank.
The tank now has no chance of crushing the wire again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you can get access to Honda peak voltage leads (you need specific peak voltage leads, normal multimeter leads won't do), you should check the voltage into the ignition coils. It should be over 100v. Also, try swapping hte coils round from front to back, if it changes cylinder then it will be coil, if not it could be ECM. (I have had this same problem in the past)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a similar problem . It was a faulty wire that was not connecting properly to the fuel pump . Some times it would cut out and /or run like it was 'almost ' running on one cylinder .

Took a while to trace it , but the bikes fine now .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts