RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a review on Engine Ice, one reviewer commented it was track friendly. Is this true?
Man, the stuff sure jumped up in price. Last year early spring I bought two half gallons for about $12.00 each at Cycle Gear. Now the cheapest I can find is 21.99 here in town, or 18 + shipping online. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I've run Engine Ice in both my RC51 and FZ1, and while it is non-toxic and biodegradable, I seriously doubt it to be "track safe" in my book.

I've spilt some on the floor while filling or draining, and it is quite slippery (like most coolant).
Personally, I wouldn't want to run across a patch of it on the track.
It would be like riding on oil.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When I purchased Engine Ice, the cheapest price I found was on Amazon (purchased 2 gallons - it was packaged in four, half gallon containers).

YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Using Engine Ice or other coolants is dependent on the track day org and the group your riding in. Most (around me in the midwest) will allow ethylene glycol antifreeze in all groups but Advanced. Obviously running distilled water and water wetter is likely the safest option in the event you damage your cooling system in a get off.

I put in antifreeze every fall at the end of the season just as a precaution and flush it out in the spring before track season starts with water/water wetter.

Check with your track day org's tech inspection guidelines. They will let you know what is acceptable.

EDIT:
Sorry missed the forum this was posted in. My bad. But CCS, WERA and AMA have restrictions against glycol based coolants. So Engine Ice would not work if your racing with any of these orgs as it is propylene glycol based.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts