RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
READ my "my build" thread here...I am on my third shop at a cost of 20-30k total in engines, trying to do what you want to do. It has also cost me 14 months of time with another 3-4 months to go.

Roger Ditchfield is an honest reliable builder in the UK (moriwaki racing distributor) but finding someone to install, break in and tune it here is another story. This will be the second engine he has built for me-destroyed by incompetent shops here in the US

Tuned industries in Bakersfield sucks (blew engine 1)
Jett Tuning and John Ethel in Camarillo CA suck OUT THE ASS...(blew engine 2)

Pistons are fine to do (JE lightest PISTON-wiseco wrist pins the lightest-CP also a great option), but stay away from the cams...finding someone to degree them correctly has cost me a fortune! If you ARE going to do the cams anyway, Roger Ditchfield sells a kent cams setup with stiffer springs, Ti retainers etc. Cost 2800.00 usd

Call/email roger at revolution racing in the UK....tell him Derrel sent you...he can hook you up!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
it's not an engine worth building

if you want horsepower buy it at the dealership for a fraction of the price. the 51 is fine as it is, if you want it to be faster, sell it and buy a faster bike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys but I didn't explain it very well.... This is not what I want to do to mine.
I've been wanting a 51 for a long time and I have one close to me that the owner says this has been done to his and he has put over 3k miles on it since being built. A stock 51 would be just fine to me but wanted to get any input on if this was legit and how dependable it would be.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle from anyone who describes parts using the term 'stage'

sound like he's been playing a lot of gran turismo

get a build sheet. if he doesn't have one, don't buy it

·
Registered
650 Posts
exactly...see if its a wiseco piston...Roger says all the blown engines in his shop usually have wisecos...heavier than JE or CP...

I'd also inquire as to the manufacturer of the cams...not too many around....get the specs on the cams...see if they have adjustable sprockets, what type retainers, springs etc etc....

I would think it should run very nicely.....Pull a valve cover and you can tell if the cams are stock or not by the pressed on sprockets...."stage 3" should have adjustable cam wheels and have markings stamped into them.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
honestly, i suspect that a lot of the failures are a result of lifting the redline.

obviously it's the easiest way to make a bunch more hp, but it adds a lot of stress to essentially everything

1 - 10 of 10 Posts