RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started happening - when slowing down, for example to go over a speed bump - my engine just quit. Started right up afterwards and runs fine. I did have the FI light code, 8 blinks previous to this happening and I checked the connections, (disconnected, reconnected) under the tank, everything looked OK, started up and FI light went out. So what could cause an engine stall when hitting a bump going slowly? Simple mods on my 2000 RC, just PC-USB and flapper mod. If any of you out there have any ideas/suggestions, throw them my way. Appreicate any feedback - have a good day.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
You probably already thought of this, but unhook your PC and see if it still stalls under those conditions. Def sounds electical, but maybe a leaking fuel pressure regulator could do that too. If you haven't checked your FPR lately, it's pretty easy to do if your tank is already raised anyway.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the PC disconnct was next on the list, but didn't get to it last nite. I rode RC to work this morning - everything running fine, purring like a kitten, went up the parking lot driveway, hit the speedbump, and engine died, but started right up. No FI light. I'll do the PC unconnect tonite or this weekend and see if I get same result. Thanks for the heads up on the FPR check. I'll look at that as well. Thanks for the reply and input.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok - update on FI issue. I disconnected the PC3 and now I have the following situation with t my FI indicator.
While idling at warm up, I get one flash on the FI. I refer to the service manual and check out the MAP sensors. All seems fine, I clean terminals and reconnect. Engine running fine. I tsake it for quick spin and now the FI light is on and stays lit. Engine is still running fine, accelerates smoothly but backfires/burbles when I roll off throttle and decelerate. I refer to manual for "Stays Lit" cause and it refers to a short in the service connector or faulty ECM. I've checked the service connector and the reset seems to work when I "short" it. Any quick/easy recommendations on checking out the ECU for those of you out there that may have same issue? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Pull the ECU and clean those contacts. Apply some dielectric grease before you reassemble (Actually do this on all of your electrical connections wouldn't hurt)

Check the kick stand connector/wiring too. the wiring for the kill switch may have a short or needs cleaned.

GL

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Sp2 that does similar. More so under brakes it just cuts out some times .
Mine too starts imediately. But boy it makes for some hairy moments!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts