RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading and lurking since 2013. I haven't posted until today. Thank you all for your tips, guidance, mods, and photos. Time flies (as does money) when you are rebuilding a bike.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Welcome aboard, pics of the rebuild or it never happened ! :) :D :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thank you for writing back

1 out of 50, that's my odds, huh? Tough crowd. Okay... day of purchase (bought from Mike Franklin, aka Moto Mike). Sad, I know. The Satos were the most tragic part.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was worked on by Ian from ProSpeed, then Ross from Pro Moto Performance who cleaned up my harness and arranged powdercoating. Both shops are now closed. Then it has been a garage job ever since. Just need a few more things and it will be great! I need to get it out of the garage to take a photo in the sun, but it is the last one in the back so I have to drag the others out first. The one in front of the garage is (obviously without bodywork) and the tank needs to be painted. That was the first run on the street for testing.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. It was a seriously smoking deal. I could not pass it up. As I (think) I have read on here, it is the "red whine" I fell in love with many years ago. Although the first ride was on an SP1, so the SP2 was a bonus! Thank you for the welcome!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Welcome neighbor.
That is quite a project! Looks like you're nearly there now. That's cool.
I did the same as you, bought one damaged and fixed it up. Took about 9 months of sourcing to get everything I needed, but was able to pick up some goodies on the way as they became available.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Longer than expected but worth the wait.

Thank you! I think I would have been finished faster but life got in the way, I almost had to sell it as is (a pile of parts with so much potential). It has snowballed the past few months, though.

If anyone knows of a good painter in NorCal for a tank, that would be fabulous.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Where in northern Cal are you? Supposed to be some excellent painters in the bay area according to thread on the BARF.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi! South of SJ. I work in Morgan Hill but live in the boonies south of that so San Jose is doable, although for a quality paintjob that won't cost me a metric ton of cash, I will gladly travel. Especially since it is THE final big project to get it beautiful again. I am afraid that the Honda wings won't line up if I don't take the whole bike to the painters. I think taking just the tank is a risk for not only line match but color match as well since this is aftermarket Chinese bodywork. Many thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
One guy mentioned several times on Bay Area Riders Forum over several years was Bobby Keith at Cycle Finish in Menlo Park. Does paint and bodywork for motorcycles for 15 years. Everybody gave him positive reviews. Most painters like to shoot the whole thing so everything matches but I've seen a couple try to match one or two pieces to existing body work so it's possible. Probably going to throw down for Duckhunters carbon endurance fairing & will be looking for a basically stock 02 paint job with a few tweeks. Let us know when you get your paint done, i'm probably 3 months away from going for it so would be interested in your results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I truly appreciate the recommendation I will contact him tomorrow. Hopefully he can just color match the tank because the bodywork is brand new, not one mile on it. I think it is as close to the OEM Winning Red and Force Silver combo as you can get without buying it from Honda. It visibly matches the old bodywork, but I'm no painter. I will surely let you know what he says, costs, and how it comes out if I go with him. Here's a laugh, months later the bodywork manufacturer sent me a bottle of touch up paint. Check it out... no lie. Again, thank you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Geez, let's get a NorCal ride put together sometime this Spring, or whenever we can all make it happen. It would be awesome to stop for lunch at some Road House somewhere, and line up a 12 pack of RC's out front.

Reactions: jondog9

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds good. Did one with speedzilla around 2004 I think. Had about 12-15 bikes if I remember. Rode up around Lake Berryessa and one of the riders had barbeque for us at his place outside Vacaville. Good ride, no crashers and mostly moderate pace with a few sprints at a "spirited pace". Sorry MsXXFast didn't mean to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Geez, let's get a NorCal ride put together sometime this Spring, or whenever we can all make it happen. It would be awesome to stop for lunch at some Road House somewhere, and line up a 12 pack of RC's out front.
That would be great. Let's represent!
I'm in the Sacramento area. Soooo many good roads around here. I love Berryessa too when the road has been dry for a couple days.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Good luck on your tank MsXXFast. I'm in the same boat. My side and tail fairings are off, sanded and prepped, waiting for my buddy to get them painted.
I was even thinking of installing the front fairing and a spare -slightly damaged - tailsection and running my bike half naked. Lol. Licence plate and all lights would be working and visible, should be legal.
I dunno...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
That would be great. Let's represent!
I'm in the Sacramento area. Soooo many good roads around here. I love Berryessa too when the road has been dry for a couple days.
I've done Berryessa once myself. Two years ago, the old goats I ride with (old, not slow!) did a couple rides, one was around Berryessa. The following week, Berryessa was on fire in the surrounding area. A month or so before, we did a 300 mile ride one day all over, to include the Sonora pass, Angels Camp, etc. Two days later, Angel's Camp was on fire. It was getting a little eerie there! Sorry also for the thread hijack, but MsXXFast would be included on said ride, so maybe it's okay?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts