RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , i was on the freeway coming home tonight and my SP1 sounded like my cans had a hole in them . I get home and take a look and found a wire like mesh poking out of the pipe that is buy the rear shock going into the engine , the exhaust clap was really loose and i tighten it however the leak still persist ! Has anyone ever had this problem ? Thank you for the help in advance :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It started with a little back firing for 2 weeks and tonight it sounded like my pipes blew a hole out of it ! I've had the bike for 7 yrs and this is the first time I had this issue come up !

·
Registered
148 Posts
A leak in your exhaust can / will cause backfires. Any unburned fuel getting in the system from a rich intake mixed with oxygen from the leak and you get a nice big bang. Replace the gaskets at the head pipe and joints and re-torque the fasteners and you should have a pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A leak in your exhaust can / will cause backfires. Any unburned fuel getting in the system from a rich intake mixed with oxygen from the leak and you get a nice big bang. Replace the gaskets at the head pipe and joints and re-torque the fasteners and you should have a pretty easy fix.
+1 on that^^^

Had the same problem here... A year ago my bike started to bang and pop and run a little ruff and also sounded louder.
I started to search around and found all exhaust gaskets where burned up and the whole system was loose...

All new gaskets in and everything nice and tight, no more exhaust leaks or pops or bangs and she ran smoother..

Now that was a year ago and just a month ago now I had my exhaust off again while doing some other work and I inspected the rear down pipe gaskets and they looked like they were burning out yet again...I put new ones in again just to avoid any problems down the road...

I did see on these pages that the Rc does eat exhaust gaskets rather quickly.

I have put exhaust gaskets on my yearly to do list from now on...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for all the replys :) When I get off from work I will take some pics and one more question , how many gaskets do I need for the rear of the exhaust ?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
if you're running stock headers you need one for the head and one for the join in the pipe but you may as well replace the front head one at the same time
and maybe do the link pipe ones as well

·
Registered
148 Posts
if you're running stock headers you need one for the head and one for the join in the pipe but you may as well replace the front head one at the same time
and maybe do the link pipe ones as well
Yea, just do it once and do them all. Getting the headers off and back on can be a little fiddly but get a couple of long socket extensions and a universal socket (it is a 10 or 12mm but I can't remember off the top of my head) and your life will be easier. The gaskets are cheap so it is all about the labor to do it. Plan on an afternoon of quality time with the old girl...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks a lot, great advice! I hope one of the few shops around here might have some!

Eric

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Good luck with that... From what I've seen very few shops keep many parts on hand for our bikes. They've been out of production for too long and there weren't many around to begin with. Partzilla or one of the other online oem houses will likely be your only source.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That is a very familiar sight....
Those are some old gaskets and have been leaking for a long time I bet...

You will notice a big difference one you get new ones in there and everything tight again..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts