RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was riding on the highway today when all of a sudden my bike started to sound different. Figured an ear plug had become dislodged. Anyways, I look down and my right exhaust can was missing. It appeared that it has actually come apart at the rivets so all I saw was a bunch of packing material wrapped around the inner baffle. The end cap and carbon sleeve was gone.

So I have the option of just taking off both "cans" and running straight pipes like my friend suggested, but it is truly raucous so I'd rather go with something else. The most affordable option is to go with a Jardine 2:1 full system as they're going for pretty cheap nowadays, but I want to retain the dual exhaust layout. I bought the bike with the Akra full system so I don't have stock headers to go with the slip on route from Yoshi/2bros. Anyone know if any exhausts that would be compatible with the Akra headers or am I just saving my pennies at this point?

Oh, and it's a 2002.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
1971allchaos has my old akra setup, try a p.m to him see if he will sell it to you ??? At least you know they will fit ..... ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately the end caps and sleeves are no longer available from local distributors for any of the oval cans. I'll call 'em on Monday and hope for the best. Hell, if I can just get good end caps, I can find alternatives for the sleeves.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Aren't a lot of the akrapovic cans similar? You might be able to find another set with the same inlet diameter. You might even be able to get some of the newer hex style cans.

If you don't mind being quite a bit louder, you can always get a set of Simon's gp cans.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aren't a lot of the akrapovic cans similar? You might be able to find another set with the same inlet diameter. You might even be able to get some of the newer hex style cans.

If you don't mind being quite a bit louder, you can always get a set of Simon's gp cans.
Right now the only ones available in oval shape are for KTMs and the CBR1100XX, both of which would require me to buy two slip on exhaust systems with only a hope that they'd work and Akra doesn't seem to supply any of the spare parts in the catalogs anymore. They're open on Monday so I'll give them a call and hopefully they have some laying around the warehouse. It's definitely an option to explore, thanks.

And thanks, Sub, always a wealth of information for anything to do with these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Remember that the Akrapovic oval muffler was used on many of their exhaust systems, in various lengths.
You can shop around eBay or Craigslist to find one on sale, then salvage the end cap and other parts you need, then buy the muffler rebuild kit(s) which include the carbon-fiber sleeve, packing material, and rivets for around $250 per kit.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Either Ladybird set ups would be nice imo.....check with ridersdiscount, I thought they advertised a single can on eBay not too long ago, maybe it has parts you could use??

raylee, a man of your stature should really have that $3,200 Ladybird GP set up.;):D

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Thanks to Chaos and Duckhunter. I've got what I need to rebuild my exhaust. Hopefully my next paycheck will afford me a set of carbon re-sleeve kits.
Glad I could help out a forum member :D also glad my exhaust did not end up in a metal recycle bin:D, Keep us posted raylee ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts