RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since the rain and cold have come in, time to do some winter stuff to the bike. I decided to repack and re-sleeve my Scorpion exhaust ($310 - for CF tubes, packing material, rivets, straps, and one midpipe).

I have this shit under control. But my question to you all is why da puk are the exhaust so expensive. Its a simple perforated tube (high heat) with a baffle at the end. Covered by CF or metal sleeve. Riveted together. I was going to spend ona full Sato system but am not sure its a good idea anymore.....

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
a portion of it is materials, and another portion of it is how many they'll sell.

it's really easy to say "well it's just a pipe", but it isn't really. all the bends have to be just right, all the tabs, all the slip joints, the angles and fit have to be bang on. that means that the manufacturer has to produce jigs and fixtures to make sure everything fits just right.

if they aren't going to sell thousands of sets, the costs in setup and R&D have to be recouped through the sale of fewer units, so this is included in the price of the exhaust.

you'll notice that exhausts for less popular bikes are typically more expensive than others.

you'll also notice that really cheap exhausts tend to suffer from fit issues.

there is more to a product than what it's made of.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1. Not all brands are the same. Some manufacturers put a lot more effort and quality into their product than others. Sometimes you get what you pay for sometimes you get hosed. Pretty much any exhaust that comes out of Italy or England is shit so you probably got hosed...

2. You weren't going to spend your money on a Sato Full System because there is no such product.

3. Even if they did make a full system the chance of being able to obtain one now would be slim to none as Sato stopped making exhausts in 2008.

4. If you really want to discuss this further you should probably read my exhaust article. It is lengthy, but accurate and pertinent to this discussion.
ROGUE RC51 EXHAUST INFORMATION PAGE

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.....i get the explanations....also it was a full lady bird that ihave been looking at not SATO sorry.......

·
Registered
122 Posts
@LDH i got my full akropovic from london .. and it looked pretty damn nice to me lol ...just saying

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah i am pretty sure Akra is Italian right??.. yeah london is where it was shipped from lol sorry

·
Registered
122 Posts
wow! didnt see that coming!!.. learn something new everyday

·
Registered
71 Posts
a portion of it is materials, and another portion of it is how many they'll sell.

it's really easy to say "well it's just a pipe", but it isn't really. all the bends have to be just right, all the tabs, all the slip joints, the angles and fit have to be bang on. that means that the manufacturer has to produce jigs and fixtures to make sure everything fits just right.

if they aren't going to sell thousands of sets, the costs in setup and R&D have to be recouped through the sale of fewer units, so this is included in the price of the exhaust.

you'll notice that exhausts for less popular bikes are typically more expensive than others.

you'll also notice that really cheap exhausts tend to suffer from fit issues.

there is more to a product than what it's made of.
Excellent answer Wibbly!! that reasoning also applies to just about everything else you can purchase the "Murica! You DO (more often than not) Get what you pay for!! ....just ask anyone (myself included) who has purchased, and mounted fairings from Hong Kong!!.....

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Akra is Slovenian
And most of the welding is done by women (via Mr. Akrapovic), since women have finer motor control (aka dexterity) than men.

Also reason why most fine electronic component assembly was done by women in the old days.
Just watching an old documentary of women weaving fine wires through the ferrite memory cores for the Apollo Guidance Computer in the 60's would drive one's ADD through the roof. Massive appreciate for their ability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts