RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike is in pretty desperate need of some new fairings. She's not the prettiest bike but she's a blast and I wanna make her look nice again. Are OEM fairing still available? I've been Googling for awhile now and I'm only able to find Chinese and Hong Kong fairings. There is another set from another company that run $700 but have VTR instead of RVT. My only other option would be obtaining a nose fairing and doing some repairs followed by custom paint. What are your guys thoughts? Thank you very much for any input.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OEM are still available....cheapest option is to ebay and collect bit by bit not sure you will get a complete set in perfect condition. OEM are pretty expensive ($500 per side plus the same for nose and tail) also check your local websites like CL etc depending on where you are. I do have a complete spare set in great condition but not sure i want to sell it and i am located in Switzerland so shipping anywhere would make it pointless on used savings. David silver Spares sorted me out when i was looking for some parts they maybe able to help you.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked into fairing repairs with fiberglass and some of the plastic glues available. I fairings have a fair bit of rash but with a nice sanding and custom paint, I might save a lot of money. Anyone have experience with the eBay cheap sets? That's another option.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Last I checked PartZilla has the front fairing for $440 and free shipping - just bought one about 4 weeks ago.
No side panels though, and a lot of stickers are obsolete as well.

I'm in the process of restoring my plastics. If you think it's cheap, it's not.
I did it 7 years ago when I first got the bike, it's now time again after 35,000 miles and couple boo-boo's. I'm using color-rite paint, which is what OEM Honda uses, and that stuff is $135/pint. It calls for 3 pints of color, plus primer and clearcoat. And an Ebay sticker kit. Total cost is around $700 for materials and I do the many hours of labor.
With the new front upper, and refurbing the rest of original plastics, this project will be something over $1000 and 50 - 75 hours of labor.

Why take on all that? I'm a purist and I want this to be as close to factory perfect as I can get. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Omg, what did I get myself into? Lol... As attractive as the prices are for the Chinese fairings, I can't justify putting them on my bike.

I am on the fence about the paint job being original or custom. I'll need to see if I can find the sticker set as that alone would hugely improve my bike's appearance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe you were discussing tracking the bike in another thread...if that's the case, I'd stick with the cheap, disposable hong kong fairings.My 2 cents
Good thing is one of the companies will allow you to alter there paint schemes, changing colors, pinstripes etc etc...that's what I did.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just checked my local Honda dealers online parts lookup. They have upper and seat cowl for 02 but no side cowls. Believe older bikes there is less available. I've always liked the black/grey paint on 05 and 06 models and that is still available although not cheap. About $1550 for upper, sides and tail only not including foam and decals etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking for the RVT sticker and striping for a right side fairing for an 04. Do you you guys see any issue using an 03 sticker kit? Mainly, if sticker sizing and fit being differ between the two years?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
You don't have to spend the bucks on the color-rite paint. You can get custom paint materials for about half that. Suggestion: if you go with red, use a pink primer, or else you will have to use more coats of red to get it to look solid.

Just checked my local Honda dealers online parts lookup. They have upper and seat cowl for 02 but no side cowls. Believe older bikes there is less available. I've always liked the black/grey paint on 05 and 06 models and that is still available although not cheap. About $1550 for upper, sides and tail only not including foam and decals etc.
If those are OEM, they come with the graphics and foam installed. That's part of why they're so expensive. At least they used to??

I'm looking for the RVT sticker and striping for a right side fairing for an 04. Do you you guys see any issue using an 03 sticker kit? Mainly, if sticker sizing and fit being differ between the two years?
I found a 04 sticker kit and bought it two years ago. It's the only one of good quality I could find. It's pretty darn close to OEM, but doesn't match perfectly. It doesn't come with the Woody stickers, NH signature, HRC or other sponsor stickers the OEM came with. But other than that, it's complete. I think it's better suited if you're replacing all the stickers, not just matching into existing ones. Got it from S R Sign Design online. About $125 iirc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You don't have to spend the bucks on the color-rite paint. You can get custom paint materials for about half that. Suggestion: if you go with red, use a pink primer, or else you will have to use more coats of red to get it to look solid.

If those are OEM, they come with the graphics and foam installed. That's part of why they're so expensive. At least they used to??

I found a 04 sticker kit and bought it two years ago. It's the only one of good quality I could find. It's pretty darn close to OEM, but doesn't match perfectly. It doesn't come with the Woody stickers, NH signature, HRC or other sponsor stickers the OEM came with. But other than that, it's complete. I think it's better suited if you're replacing all the stickers, not just matching into existing ones. Got it from S R Sign Design online. About $125 iirc.
OEM Farings come with the stickers and foam installed. Plus they will have the honda stamped inside with the farings sku number etc...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, this is good info because my rear fairing is questionable as I don't have much experience with OEM vs cheap plastics. I'll have to look for those stamps when I pull them this winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts