RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Have cruised the search thread tool and come up with squat. Has anyone removed the top fairing stay before and substituted with something that is better hidden/looking?

Or is it something i shouldn't mess with and just forget about it. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
i remember seeing someone do one in carbon fiber that basically just strengthened the front fairing. Doable, but probably not worth the effort unless you are like Duckhunter and good with Carbon.....in fact contact him he may be interested in the project.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Brett from Turn One made a carbon fiber upper cowl stay for his own bike, but never put it into production.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I just threw an email at Brett ( TurnOne ) Will see what he sheds on the subjct.

I have looked at this a few times as I do not care for a fairing stay, but after going with the Harris Sp1 stay I have ( I love how it matches my one off billet triple set :) ) I gave up on the idea of a carbon stay. But with enough interest and suggestions/ideas for what is wanted by the market I can look at doing something.

Member Wingnutt had put a request in for a carbon fairing stay last year, but I was still in the research / train myself stage.

With that now behind and being confident in my molding techniques now I think I could take this project on.

The other thing I have had a lot of interest in from the R1 crowd is carbon kickstands. I have about 30 guys waiting for me to develop something for trial, but I am wanting to do an RC51 version first... Pete at Ti64 and I have been kicking ideas around for a while now. Just another project on my huge list.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't expect such a hefty response from so many, thanks for your time guys, will be interesting to see what sort of reply you get from your email Duckhunter. In other news I'm absolutely irate at the moment, missed out on a jardine 2-1 headers that sold on eBay for $33.00.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I feel like it wouldn't be too hard to build one like the 1000rr uses building off the snorkel mounts or snorkel. Depends on if your running headlights or not on how hard that would become.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Ok gents, Here is the latest info on the carbon stays, Turns out that Brett did not make them Mondial off of 'zilla did. They were strictly prototype pieces.

Here is a copy and paste of the email from Brett.

To Me
Today at 5:33 PM
G'Day Matt, I didn't make those, Nick made a few proto's , personally I thought they weren't that great, I did a stay less race fairing set up.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just threw an email at Brett ( TurnOne ) Will see what he sheds on the subjct.

I have looked at this a few times as I do not care for a fairing stay, but after going with the Harris Sp1 stay I have ( I love how it matches my one off billet triple set :) ) I gave up on the idea of a carbon stay. But with enough interest and suggestions/ideas for what is wanted by the market I can look at doing something.

Member Wingnutt had put a request in for a carbon fairing stay last year, but I was still in the research / train myself stage.

With that now behind and being confident in my molding techniques now I think I could take this project on.

The other thing I have had a lot of interest in from the R1 crowd is carbon kickstands. I have about 30 guys waiting for me to develop something for trial, but I am wanting to do an RC51 version first... Pete at Ti64 and I have been kicking ideas around for a while now. Just another project on my huge list.
My idea was to replicate our steel ohlins fairing stays out of C/F (even though we have the only ones on the planet) but now that I think of it designing a universal hidden stay seems like a great project for one of the interns here at work....stay tuned :cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My idea was to replicate our steel ohlins fairing stays out of C/F (even though we have the only ones on the planet) but now that I think of it designing a universal hidden stay seems like a great project for one of the interns here at work....stay tuned :cool:
Im starting to get slightly aroused after reading this post, count me in if this ever gets off the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
You can just remove it if you want. Just take the mirrors off with it. I had mine off for a little while and the fairing vibrated a little more than usual, but nothing crazy. Over a very long period of time you'd probably see issues with mounts cracking, but I wouldn't be afraid to run it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You can just remove it if you want. Just take the mirrors off with it. I had mine off for a little while and the fairing vibrated a little more than usual, but nothing crazy. Over a very long period of time you'd probably see issues with mounts cracking, but I wouldn't be afraid to run it.
But Brett if you are a Maad Max Suicide jockey like me and run 6th gear pinned all the time you'd break the upper fer shure :p

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
But Brett if you are a Maad Max Suicide jockey like me and run 6th gear pinned all the time you'd break the upper fer shure :p
Well of course the plastic would be my chief concern at that speed! That stuff is expensive. :D

Some may not agree but the main function of the fairing stay is to support the mirrors. Sure the plastic needs some support, but it isn't like it is going to fall apart the second you take the stay off. The nose is held on with the snorkel and the side panels really well. The rear ears on either side of the windscreen are the only thing lacking support, and the fairing stay mounts pretty far forward of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts