RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I'm new to my SP1 and it seems as though my coolant fan maybe not working. Went to a race meeting a sat still in traffic temperature went up to 110 and temperature light went on. On the road temperature is 79 - 82. Started the bike and allowed to idle, temperature was 102 and fan still didnt kick in, could anyone tell me what temperature it should come on? Could anyone tell me where the fan fuse is located on the bike so I can check this first.

Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Make sure your fan motor bearings are in good shape.
With the switch off, reach through front and spin the fan by hand (1 fan for SP1, 2 fans for SP2).
They should spin freely without any effort or noise.
If the fan doesn't spin freely, then it may be rubbing against the radiator(s), or the fan bearings are bad or going bad (esp. If they squeak).
An electric motor under load or stalled out draws more current. This can cause fuses to blow.
A short can blow fuses as well, so a visual check for chafed or damaged wires may be needed.
Remember, fuses for a reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the guidance guy's, I did spin the fan, seems to rotate effortlessly so hopefully it's sorted. Where I live I don't usually get stuck in situations where the fan is needed as a general rule.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
fwiw, when you plug that fuse in the slot, the wire goes directly to the fan motor to supply the + power.

Your radiator is grounded to the frame, the thermo switch grounded to the radiator, and the fan is grounded to the thermo switch. The thermo switch interrupts the ground so your fan wont run. Until the coolant reaches about 104 - at which point the thermo switch completes the ground to kick the fan on.

If you have more issues, you can check that +wire running from your fan to the fuse box, and
You can find the thermo switch mounted in the left radiator front near the top. There you'll find the rest of the wiring for the ground circuit.

Second picture shows the thermoswitch.
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=123274&postcount=6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts