RC51 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been slowly bringing my Rc back from the dead and when its up to temp it idles at close to 2000rpms. when i tried to turn the idle down with the knob it was to tight and didnt really turn at all. After taking the box off to get to the injection etc. i saw that when i tured the knob it did nothing where it was hooked up. Could that screw/spring thing just be stuck? How would i unstick that without damaging it? Can i manually do it there at the mechanism?

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmmm... i have the same problem with mine but it depends on the temp like 180-190 perfect anything over it idles high anything under it idles like a drag bike. so im trying to figure out the samething

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Just checking, but you are turning the gray knob on the right?
I only ask because some have confused the fast idle control on the opposite side.

If the idle adjust isn't turning, it maybe the flexible cable is broken.
Or is the adjuster run into the stops?

As for the high idle speed, if the idle is adjusted too high and the airbox is removed, you may be able to manual rotate the adjuster at the throttle body.

A fast idle could also be due to an air leak. Other than the airbox, have you removed your throttle-bodies or vacuum hoses?
Such as if the flapper valve vacuum hose was removed or throttle-bodies sync'd ext.

Just throwing a few ideas out there.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cable wasnt broke but damn that thing was hard to turn. Took everything apart down to the FI and sprayed a little carb cleaner on the the spring/screw, turned it real hard and bam, it turned maybe a quarter turn went for a ride and its much better now. Idles at 1400-1700. still high i know but its much better. that damn thing still doesnt want to turn tho. Funny that the maual says to let it warm up then adjust it, really good way to burn your ass and get pissed off!lol

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Try squirting a little penetrating oil, maybe it's a bit corroded (?).
It should not be that hard to turn at all.
They recommend warming up the engine only in order to get an accurate idle.
If that bugger still won't turn, I'd try replacing the cable.
Because 1400-1700 RPM is way too high, it's only supposed to be 1300 +/- 100 RPM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine depends on the day mosstly good idle then sometimes high then back to normal after a rev so i gotta check some stuff when it gets warm out

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine depends on the day mosstly good idle then sometimes high then back to normal after a rev so i gotta check some stuff when it gets warm out
Me also. It also goes down when i engage the clutch and slip into gear. It is a purpose built race bike where talking about so what the hell it is what it is

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I must say that mine stays at 1300 RPM until the temperature elevates almost to the point where the fans cut in (about 217-218).
Then the idle increases maybe a 100 RPM.
Once the engine cools back down to 205-ish the idle drops to 1300 again.

I figured it was part of the engine management program though it's not mentioned.
I've run into cars that did this as well, probably to increase coolant circulation flow through the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts