RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn my key on the fuel pump primes but the oil light stays on . When i start to ride the fi light comes on the the bike stutters. Then it will die out. It starts back up but does the same thing. Any help or advicewould be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Welcome aboard.

When i turn my key on the fuel pump primes but the oil light stays on .
The oil light would stay on until the engine is working. That's because it reads NO oil pressure. Normal state for an engine not running.

When i start to ride the fi light comes on the the bike stutters. Then it will die out. It starts back up but does the same thing. Any help or advicewould be greatly appreciated.
First of all, refer to the VTR1000_Factory_Service_Manual_SP1 SP2 and run a self diagnosis on your ECU.
Count the FI indicator's flashes to pin point the malfunctioning item.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
When i turn my key on the fuel pump primes but the oil light stays on . When i start to ride the fi light comes on the the bike stutters. Then it will die out. It starts back up but does the same thing. Any help or advicewould be greatly appreciated.
Are you saying the oil light goes on and stays on? Even after the bike is running? Then when you kick it in gear and start riding, then the FI light comes on and sputters/dies?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it stays on. But the sight glass has oil. I proped the gas tank up last night and.left it up and when i went to turn it on today the fuel pump wouldnt prime. So i ordered a fuel pump. But im not sure if.that is the sole problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a 2004. The fi light does not stay on. It only comes on when riding and as soon as the bike dies out it goes away. So i tried a diagnostic and i got nothing. Maybe im not doing it correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Key to OFF, kill switch RUN positions.
Use a piece of wire to jump the brown and green wires on the diagnose connector.
Turn key to ON and count flashes (without the 5sec one while turning the key on) .
A flash of 1 sec duration is a 10 (2 is 20 etc)
A flash of 0.5 sec duration is an 1 (2 is 2 etc)
Read the code that flashes like this: Long flash-Long flash-short-short-short = 23
If there are numerous codes stored then the FI indicator stays off for little more of 1 sec before starts flashing the next code in line.

Let us know how it went

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I ran the diagnostic and nothing. I already have a fuel pump on the way, so hopefully that will be the cure. Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You had better figure out if the bike actually has oil pressure or that new Fuel pump will not help you much with a seized engine. If the oil light does not turn off once the motor starts, you had better turn it off yourself and figure out the problem quick.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Fuel pump and oil pressure sensor do not run through the ECU so the FI indicator can't come on for that.
Next thing I would check would be the fuel pressure to be as specified in the manual.
How is your battery's state? Fully charged? Terminal wires secured properly?
If you leave your battery disconnected for a couple of days, does it reads 12.8V?
When the bike is running at 4000rpm does it read 13.8-14.5V? Half a volt less with high beams ON?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Fuel pump is entirely unrelated to the oil light. If it is staying on even when running- that's serious enough to shut it off until you sort that problem out. I'm sure you're not an idiot, but you'll feel like one if you ruin your engine cause you kept running with the idiot light on...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts