RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i havent been able to ride my bike that much being i have a slightly bent front rim only time ive rode the bike is to take it to a couple places to have them look at the front rim.

My problem:
ill be riding along and my FI light will come on the bike will backfire then the light goes off and wont do this for another 10mins or so if im riding the bike easy it does this but if im on the throttle hard it doesnt do it what should I check for im kinda lost

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody have any ideal of what is wrong with this poor bike? My rims will be here tomorrow and im gonna try to ride this weekend and dont want the bike running poorly

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem started when I found out the front rim was bent an I stopped riding it an the bike sat for a bit now it throws that fi light an back fires

·
Registered
606 Posts
sounds like you got hold of some bad Petrol / Gas ...maybe a bit of fuel additive would help ?? Not sure, but I am confident that Sub or someone else here will know exactly what to do.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Since the FI light comes on, I doubt that it's directly fuel contamination related.

It sounds more like a possible loose electrical connection or sensor issue.
Many with corroded or loose battery or ground connectors have had these symptoms.

Since the problem is sporadic but frequently occurs, I'd first use the service manual procedure to clear all current codes.

Then ride the bike until the problem reoccurs. Then again use the manual to check the new FI codes to have the system report what it detects.

If it doesn't show any fault codes, then it's probably not a sensor issue.
Then I'd check for the loose/corroded battery and ground connectors for starters.
Also I'd check the ECU connectors also.

As insurance, buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease and dab some into all your electrical connectors to waterproof the contacts and prevent corrosion/oxidation.
One tube is more than enough for the bike. Wonderful stuff.

·
Registered
575 Posts
could it be a bad gas cap ?? i know if on a car you leave the cap off a warning light comes on ,

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Check for shorts and loose connections.....Sub's advice on the dielectric grease is excellent too.

Bad gas can be remedied by adding more good gas and running it out....pending on how long it set?

The FPR would be a last resort

Keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike has sat around a month or so but I drained the gas out and put some New 93octane in and hopefully this weekened ill have the rims on and ill be able to ride it and it wont have problems

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Since the FI light comes on, I doubt that it's directly fuel contamination related.

It sounds more like a possible loose electrical connection or sensor issue.
Many with corroded or loose battery or ground connectors have had these symptoms. Since the problem is sporadic but frequently occurs, I'd first use the service manual procedure to clear all current codes.

Then ride the bike until the problem reoccurs. Then again use the manual to check the new FI codes to have the system report what it detects.

If it doesn't show any fault codes, then it's probably not a sensor issue.
Then I'd check for the loose/corroded battery and ground connectors for starters.
Also I'd check the ECU connectors also.

As insurance, buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease and dab some into all your electrical connectors to waterproof the contacts and prevent corrosion/oxidation.
One tube is more than enough for the bike. Wonderful stuff.
If you do ALL these things, you'll get to the source of your problem much faster. Shortcuts = continuing problems. I took Sub's advice a long time ago about the dielectric grease. You can use a q-tip, or toothpick to apply it to the connectors and pins. I noticed a few of my connections where the metal had turned a green color. Oxidation. Bad for electric conductivity. I cleaned them what I was able with a small ignition file or sandpaper. then the lube :)

could it be a bad gas cap ?? i know if on a car you leave the cap off a warning light comes on ,
You're paranoid about gas caps now! :D I'm so NOT clowning you, but I had to chuckle a little ;) After all, who wants a sucked in gas tank? :eek:

Check for shorts and loose connections.....Sub's advice on the dielectric grease is excellent too.

Bad gas can be remedied by adding more good gas and running it out....pending on how long it set?

The FPR would be a last resort

Keep us posted and good luck!
Madbuyer, I think you need to check your shorts. Your wife tells me you got bad gas! :eek: :p

·
Registered
606 Posts
Be careful when you mention rims around J Dog .... He'll try and talk you into putting Spinners and 22's on your bike...:p

In all seriousness though...Sub and J Dog ALWAYS have great info, and a lot can be learned from both these guys....:cool:

"Kirk out..."

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Be careful when you mention rims around J Dog .... He'll try and talk you into putting Spinners and 22's on your bike...:p

In all seriousness though...Sub and J Dog ALWAYS have great info, and a lot can be learned from both these guys....:cool:

"Kirk out..."
Spinners are so yesterday! Floaters Man, Floaters! Lets get with it out there in Texasland :D I have 'em on my wheels and sprocket/chain :eek:

Thanks for the kudo's, but really, I'm nowhere near the knowledge level of SubSailor. There's plenty on this forum that know WAY more than me. I just talk a lot :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
606 Posts
We joke about it, but I am surprised that nobody has created spinners / floaters for motorcycles....Harley's and Gold Wings....might actually look cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts