RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello , last year before putting bike into winter storage i had one issue that when i stopped engine to refuel it sometimes would not start without giving power with cables that is bump starting in English i think ?

Well it has worked like 2000 kilometres No problems untill today, was riding and suddenly the FI light stays on, well i stopped bike to see if its some big problems and it would not start after that only heard a fast clicking sound as last year.. called a friend to come give me bump Start and bike runs fine, but after 40 kilometres of riding the FI light again comes on and after a while the fuel light starts blinking and i put out the bikes lights the fuel light turns off again ( i had full tank just refueled)

Everytime i turned lights back on the fuel light started blinking also, and when i came to destination the fan went on so bike was going hot and weather was not so hot

Could it be the voltage regulator that is broken ? Or something else ? Thought of it first cause having lights on made fuel light flash ( maybe fuel pump started giving less fuel? ) And after riding maybe it went hot cause the water pump maybe also was not working that Good anymore

I can not do so much here , i am 340 kilometres from home and no Honda dealer here to make diagnosis , got some tools so can check how much battery voltage i got tomorrow probably and can lend tools from friend but all help would be highly appreciated

·
Registered
455 Posts
Check your battery voltage with the bike off , then see what it is when you try to start the bike , then again with the motor running. If it won't start on it's own , JUMP start it , the see what the running voltage is with your jumper cables off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for fast info mate 👍🏻 , allright here is how the voltages were

Bike not running : 12.3 volt
Idle gas : 13.5 - 13.8
With 3000-4000 rpm : 13.2 - 13.8

Can add that after i got it running with jumping cables, and it was running for some minutes i could start it without the cables like usually but problem still exists that i am sure of

All help is really appreciated since i am so far away from home / Honda dealer , so i know if i could need a trailer move later so i get home or if i can maybe buy just a new battery and make it home with that or something :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the Honda service manual, your battery is just at the acceptable level for resting voltage (12.3V).
Charging voltage inspection as follows:
View attachment 138361
Hi, thanks for the info the page shows only 15.5 V does it say how much it should show when having about 3000-4000 rpm / idle rpm or when shut down? I will look into the bike again tomorrow in the morning I'll try get a battery charger from somewhere

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i checked the fpr it was working , i saw a thread here to unplug the smaller hose and turn power on and if it would squirt fuel from there then that is broken so it was working good

Also checked electric wires could not find any wrongs There either , bought a new battery was riding bike 15 kilometres and after i checked it was showing 14.4 V when running and 13.4 when power turned off

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so from that black wire it don't give any readings at all , from the red it gives the readings so regulator is broken? I followed one video how to check it out , from the green wires it gives readings either way , have not tested the stator yet but going to test that also

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So , i tested stator now and it gives 10- 12 volts on all cables when cross tested but on one wire it gave only 6 volts , so is stator also broken ? Might add that i don't have a garage where to fix the bike at home , so can not check if stator is all burned upp here in the yard ☺ thanks for all great tips , i saw on this one video stator should give like 50 volts ? Or do i remember it wrong

Can add that i had the stator cables plugged in while tested

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So all of this worked also , i am a bit confused so the problem is not stator or regulator ? Thanks for the good tips what to try out when trying to figure out the problem why the battery is not charging lost my last hair allready next is loosing the beard also 😂 the summer is only 3-4 months here

All other info or tips what to check next is highly appreciated 👍🏻

Asked at local Honda dealer for stator / regulator prices they said only selling original parts , stator + regulator 1200 euros so did not order them 😅

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am not a Honda mechanic so I have limited knowledge specific to these bikes. I would surmise that if all the electrical charging system inspection items check out ok then your problem likely lies elsewhere.
It would be a wise investment to obtain a service manual for the bike and work your way through the systems that are causing you problems to find the root cause.
If the stator, reg/rec, and charging system voltages are checking out ok, I would not consider dropping 1200 euros on a new system before I did more investigating. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not a Honda mechanic so I have limited knowledge specific to these bikes. I would surmise that if all the electrical charging system inspection items check out ok then your problem likely lies elsewhere.
It would be a wise investment to obtain a service manual for the bike and work your way through the systems that are causing you problems to find the root cause.
If the stator, reg/rec, and charging system voltages are checking out ok, I would not consider dropping 1200 euros on a new system before I did more investigating. Just my opinion.
Yea when i had the bike running and tested the stator wires ( 3 pieces ) they showed about 12 volts on all but sometimes one of them showed only 5-6 volts , I'll check those again tomorrow when having the bike running i guess all 3 should show about same voltage when bike is running on 1000 rpm ,

Last summer i had some problems that one larger fuse was blown several times that goes from the battery but that was caused by the + side cable that is attached to battery was loose and now it has a new one so that fuse has not been blown since then

Been checking cables so they don't touch the frame and cause the battery not to charge but have not found such things , one thing is for sure quite unusual that it does charge the battery more on idle 1000 rpm than on 4000 rpm , yeah i maybe must order one service book for it from ebay or something 👍🏻

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yea when i had the bike running and tested the stator wires ( 3 pieces ) they showed about 12 volts on all but sometimes one of them showed only 5-6 volts , I'll check those again tomorrow when having the bike running i guess all 3 should show about same voltage when bike is running on 1000 rpm ,

Last summer i had some problems that one larger fuse was blown several times that goes from the battery but that was caused by the + side cable that is attached to battery was loose and now it has a new one so that fuse has not been blown since then

Been checking cables so they don't touch the frame and cause the battery not to charge but have not found such things , one thing is for sure quite unusual that it does charge the battery more on idle 1000 rpm than on 4000 rpm , yeah i maybe must order one service book for it from ebay or something 👍🏻
You had your meter set for A/C voltage , right ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You had your meter set for A/C voltage , right ?
When it was on ac voltage it shows 11.1 volts - 12.1 volts when measured from the stator wires (3 of them) but sometimes it showed 5.5 volts - 6.5 volts from one of them that is when bike was running on ~1000 rpm

And when bike turned off with only key on ON position it shows 0.1 ohm to 0.3 ohm checked from same cables that is stator ones sometimes it goes to 0.0 ohm even 😑 mostly pending from 0.2 - 0.3

·
Registered
149 Posts
[QUOTE

Also checked electric wires could not find any wrongs There either , bought a new battery was riding bike 15 kilometres and after i checked it was showing 14.4 V when running and 13.4 when power turned off
[/QUOTE]

In post #6 the OP states that he bought a new battery.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts