RC51 Forums banner

FI Light

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  komandosv2 
#1 ·
I'm having an intermitant problem with my '02 RC51. While riding it, twice in the last 3 months it has just cut completely out, then immediately picked back up and the FI light has come on. I was on my way home both times and when I got home after shutting it off, the light stayed off. I have a shop manual and went through the drill to read the code, but couldn't get the FI light to flash the code. The bike has just under 30,000 miles on it and has a Turn One airbox and intake snorkle. It has a K&N air cleaner element that I modified and installed in the front of the airbox.

The only common thread between the two incidents is that I had filled the tank
on the way to work both mornings.

Anyone have any similar problems?

#2 ·
I had similar.Bike was running OK even with light FI ON but it was driving me crazy.I check all sensors,Power Commander,computer and nothing.Reason was in fuel quality!!!
I put new petrol and problem gone.
Light was ON above 130MPH or more or less 7000rpm.
Let us know where was problem when u will fix it anyway.Wish u good luck mate.

#4 ·
I am sorry to say it but I don't see that works.
The RC51 doesn't have an oxygen sensor so it cannot detect bad fuel quality.
The only thing I can think of is if the fuel tempered with the injector's normal operation. That is something the ECU can detect. But is a stretched one...You wouldn't have a normal engine operation in that case at the first place.
Even a faulty fuel pump which outputs low pressure cannot be detected by the ECU.
I am not saying you didn't experience what you describe but I am thinking that the cause was something else that healed itself making you think it was the fuel.
Sorry for the spoiler everyone......just thoughts!

#3 · (Edited)
Near the ECM there is the service connector. Use a piece of wire and short the Green and Brown wires. Then turn the key on and the kill switch in RUN position. The FI indicator should start flashing the error(s) code(s).

#5 ·
Check the tiny wires on each of the connectors that plug into the ECU. I had one wire on the grey connector that broke off. Caused the bike to back fire and FI light was constantly on. Once I located the disconnected wire and soldered back into place, no more FI light and no more backfire. Runs nice and smooth again.

#6 ·
MakisRc51
I'm not trying argument with, but why by time when i run out all fuel and bought new,fresh everything was fine straight after that and why on "bad quality fuel" i'v done only about 10 miles on reserve??
The thing is my frend bought petrol on the same station and his bike wasn't good working too.
Thats why it make me belive it was petrol's fault.
Maybee i am wrong.But i hope this guy have the same problem :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.