RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
In my opinion..... The ABS is very prone to cracking under certain stresses, especially closer to bolt holes and other attachments.
The fiber glass front race nose cowl I had for my ZX7 was heavy duty.... thick, well made and when I crashed with it did not crack and had barely any rash scaring to show.... where as the abs stuff was a mess.

I just picked up a race glass kit off my friend Nobody's buddy in Vancouver..... It is very thin... distorts very easily but I would think it is lighter then OEM for sure. Most likely stronger then the OEM stuff as well.
But.... I have not crashed with it it.... yet.... so can not say for sure..... LOL

" It is not a matter of IF you will crash..... It is only a matter of when....."
I have 5 crashes under my belt now.... learned something from every one. Also walked away from every one of them..... one with a bit of help mind you.
This is the reward of ALWAYS wearing your gear, you just never know.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Cheaper than OEM,very strong and (if from japan) usually as light or lighter and the fit and shape from the top makers(A-tech,Clever wolf Magical racing etc) looks sharper and more refined due to good mold work and material thickness(which is much thinner than OEM)
(shame its usually too large to export though..)

But anything is better than that chinese rubbish though..

who knows what kind of plastic it's skewed from(probably bottle caps and bones from executed political prisoners..) certainly aint the same as OEM stuff
and don't get me started on the paint schemes which look all so lovely cept the paint is also nasty cheap and will never harden(you can mark it just by looking at it)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
In my experience OEM ABS is better wear and crack resistant. But fibreglass stuff, if well made, is lighter (better for racing when saving weight matters).

Best aftermarket racing bodywork, in all the reviews I've seen, is armourbodies. Had a set and it was awesome. Super flexible and resistance to cracking. http://www.armourbodies.ca/

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Lol. No biggie here. My experience has been different than yours is all.

From my experience my guess is OEM uses abs for durability, race aftermarket (fiberglass) for lightness.

I've had some nice but heavier fiberglass on my race bike too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well crap guys you have me on the fence now....I've always read that fiberglass fairings aren't as good as OEM ABS fairings for the street and are a pain to fix when they break and crack....so is it worth buying a full for $300

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
OEM fairings are typically not abs plastic. If fiberglass was cheaper, lighter, and stronger then manufacturers would be using them. If you go down you will likely crack the fiberglass fairing and unless you or someone you know are amazing with fiberglass you might as well throw it away

Now granted there are folks making extremely high quality fiberglass fairings that are just as good as oem if not better. Just not for 300 bucks

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Fiber glass is easy to fix if you have the proper knowledge. I have done some fiber glass repairs on boats and other stuff, it is not that bad.
OEM is most likely better for the street though.
Kyle, I was just throwing down some banter at ya LMAO !!!!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Don't know where Andrew is getting his info from.

Here's some info noting OEM is ABS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_fairing. Looking at my OEM fairings, it appears to be ABS as noted. It definitely is not fibreglass.

I never found fibreglass any harder to fix than ABS plastics. But fixing fiberglass oneself results in a heavier and much more brittle piece. ABS repair kits worked fairly well for me, but won't hold up against a crash a whole bunch better than a repaired fibreglass piece (the repair will still give way), although ABS won't be near as brittle as homemade fiberglass repair. So, I don't see either with an advantage in the repair department.

Fiberglass is cheaper to buy than OEM. OEM is fairly durable and has nicer fit and finish quality.

I don't know exactly what you want Handyman. There is no right answer. Just personal preferences.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Wiki isn't much of a source. However, I remember Honda giving a different name to their fairing material than abs but I could be wrong. Oem quality abs is much different than ebay abs that I know for sure. Agree to disagree on this one.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
No prob. Like to see any sources that point to something else. I'm always looking to learn and get info. I'm no plastic expert and it may be another type. I'm just going by the weight of evidence approach. Basic scientific analysis.

Here is a source noting Ducati even have ABS printed on their plastics. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducati-motorcycle-chat/18893-oem-fairing-what-kind-plastic.html

There's a lot of posts on the net talking about OEM being ABS, not many posts saying anything different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input and info.... I try to keep open minded on things like this and if I'm not sure of something ill ask...even if it seems like a noob question to others...everyone will have their own opinions and experiences which makes forums a good place for info... I've learned a lot from forums and will continue to learn....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Yes, fiberglass is cheaper to manufacture, lighter and stronger when done correctly. It is mainly used in track fairing where you don't need lights and all that other nonsense. For street use, oem plastics are best.

Yeah, I am pretty sure Honda uses ABS plastic on their fairings. The tail from the RC I have in my hands is stamped with ABS and so is the fender that came off a 2009 CBR1000RR. Now, what other oem's use and what the guys in china call "abs", who knows.

For street use, OEM is the way to go. Even if you have to get banged up stuff and fix and repaint it, you'll still be miles ahead of getting fiberglass stuff (and don't even compare Chinese shit to OEM). You'll have to cut holes in the fiberglass fairings, and create mounts for lights and any other tabs you'll need.

The misnomer that fiberglass is heavier than OEM plastic is due to the cheaper companies using sprayed chopped fiber or chopped strand mat. The good companies will use the woven cloth. It is more expensive to do it this way, but you can make it thinner and stronger. The woven cloth will also stand up in a crash better than the chopped strand crap. Also, try to avoid gel coats, they are just extra weight and used to cover up bad fiberglass.

Don't get me wrong, chopped strand and gel coat have their place, and it is in the molds used to make the final product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts