RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I have read up on the air filter mod from previous threads. Am I not doing virtually the same by installing K&N High Flow Air Filters ?

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
yes most of us do.....

the stock air filter flows more then enough for the stock airbox

i do not think removing the wire mesh will flow THAT much more to the point where it will honestly effect much....i did it to mine when i first got my bike and did not notice any difference.

I do know high flow filters negatively effect the performance of this bike....the capacity of the airbox is not large enough for the extra flow.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
if you are looking for more flow....get a turnone/thorsten box...or an HRC/Moriwaki if you could find one.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
if you are looking for more flow....get a turnone/thorsten box...or an HRC/Moriwaki if you could find one.
The size of the airbox can increase the reserve amount of air available when you whack the throttle bodies wide open which is many times beneficial to throttle response, but it does not control how much air flows through it.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
thanks for the correction, you are absolutely right. The airbox is for holding air capacity....not flow. wasn't thinking straight.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I removed the mesh off of the stock filters...dyno coming soon once it stops raining long enough.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
A Turnone airbox & snorkel kit give some power improvement not only because of increased volume, but also because it's more efficient at being a pressurised system than the much smaller standard airbox. Just make sure it fits nicely against the underside of your tank and your mapping is slightly enrichened at WOT.

It's one of the best mods for the money available for the RC51.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts