RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i designed this quite a long time ago, but now it's done. my machinist and i finalized the details and machined it last week. then hand finish, anodize, and now it's installed.

my top clamp is the last part of the bike to bring it to completion. the goal here was to keep it as clean as possible, no visible fasteners, no branding, no nothing. wretchedly excessive, but totally understated, like the bike it's sitting on. i couldn't have hoped for it to turn out better than it did.

the base shape works with my attack adjustable offset lower, so i can use attack inserts and change trail still with this clamp. the forks are captured with bronze collets, and the insert is captured with a bronze wedge. the top cap bolts on from below to hide it all and leave the nice clean look i was after.

super pleased.

37 by William Glancy, on Flickr

38 by William Glancy, on Flickr

39 by William Glancy, on Flickr

40 by William Glancy, on Flickr

41 by William Glancy, on Flickr

42 by William Glancy, on Flickr

·
Registered
2002 RC51
170 Posts
Magnificent Wibbly!! Thx so much for sharing.. I'd be a nervous wreck tracking that beauty hard.. lol

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Magnificent Wibbly!! Thx so much for sharing.. I'd be a nervous wreck tracking that beauty hard.. lol
i track it, but i wouldn't say i track it "hard"

you can ride around a track at a decent pace and scrub in your knee sliders without risking much really. i do my best to isolate myself from other riders as i feel they pose a greater risk to my bike than i do lol

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Another fantastic Mod Will!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Is the cover machined aluminum? Is it simply a black anodized finish? How is it fastened (hidden underside clips)?
Your fit and finish is amazing!
Do you do custom machine work for a living?
Your design even allows you to tune your triple tree offset.
Kudos to your machinist and you(y)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the cover machined aluminum? Is it simply a black anodized finish? How is it fastened (hidden underside clips)?
Your fit and finish is amazing!
Do you do custom machine work for a living?
Your design even allows you to tune your triple tree offset.
Kudos to your machinist and you(y)
the top cover is machined 6061, i hand finished it before anodizing. it's fastened by two bolts from the underside. you can see the holes they go through in the bottom half.

i am a tradesman but not a machinist. my specialty is electrical/automation. i do 3d modeling as a hobby and lean on my friend for the CNC machining of my ideas.

thank you for the kind words.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i designed this quite a long time ago, but now it's done. my machinist and i finalized the details and machined it last week. then hand finish, anodize, and now it's installed.

my top clamp is the last part of the bike to bring it to completion. the goal here was to keep it as clean as possible, no visible fasteners, no branding, no nothing. wretchedly excessive, but totally understated, like the bike it's sitting on. i couldn't have hoped for it to turn out better than it did.

the base shape works with my attack adjustable offset lower, so i can use attack inserts and change trail still with this clamp. the forks are captured with bronze collets, and the insert is captured with a bronze wedge. the top cap bolts on from below to hide it all and leave the nice clean look i was after.

super pleased.

37 by William Glancy, on Flickr

38 by William Glancy, on Flickr

39 by William Glancy, on Flickr

40 by William Glancy, on Flickr

41 by William Glancy, on Flickr

42 by William Glancy, on Flickr
Gorgeous

1 - 14 of 14 Posts