·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
That'll disperse water well, Some people have too much time on their hands. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol yea it doesn't look to have much real world use. I think its cool but agree with you on the too much time aspect.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
What really gets my goat as my other hobby is my custom 4x4, Is those pavement princess 4x4's with HUGE lift kits, HUGE mud tires....CHROME galore and fancy paint work and hydro assist steering with all the bell's and whistles and not a damn single spec of dirt or a single bush whacking scar on it. We call em Road queens here.
My 4x4 has a major west coast pin striping job or more done to it, from 4x4ing of course.
( Bush scars everywhere ) You know damn well when you look at it....it's a weed whacker.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duck, I see those around here. Huge swampers just ate up from pavement because no one told the tool they don't last with real world driving. I was into mudding for awhile. Still miss it, but around here there's no good places without heavy fines.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Only took my truck to some mud pits once, probably the most fun I've ever had going 20 mph. Of course, it's stock with just some A/T tires, but it was still fun.

As far as that tire being a waste of time, I imagine it's in some artist's portfolio. It's sad to say, but trailer queens/dyno queens/show bikes/bike night bikes are big money.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Duck, I see those around here. Huge swampers just ate up from pavement because no one told the tool they don't last with real world driving. I was into mudding for awhile. Still miss it, but around here there's no good places without heavy fines.
Yeah, LOL...I know about the fines. Never had one but know people around here who have. Not cheap being caught on crown land here, "destroying the forest" All the good trails are closed until up around Mid..or..North Island here.
Mud is fun...but hell on motors and the dirt is hell to clean up after.......I LOVE crawling trail..Rock gardens old stream beds that kind of stuff.
Only took my truck to some mud pits once, probably the most fun I've ever had going 20 mph. Of course, it's stock with just some A/T tires, but it was still fun.

As far as that tire being a waste of time, I imagine it's in some artist's portfolio. It's sad to say, but trailer queens/dyno queens/show bikes/bike night bikes are big money.
Stock is ok too....the A/T tires sure do what they are supposed too......I sen a guy here running A/T's and he was going everywhere in the snow and mud.
The tire is cool, The tread mark coming out of wet Road to dry Road would be interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Duckhunter, since you're in B.C. you'll probably appreciate these pics taken about 10 years ago.

A very old friend lives in Whistler and persuaded me, my brother and another friend who used to live in Vancouver until recently to take his Forester and use it to tow a sled to the top of a glacier whilst he & another buddy towed two more sleds. This was during summer so we didn't have to contend with snow, ice or rivers across roads.

The poor Forester had to go up very rough logging roads, negotiate dried up river beds and slog with a 700lb trailer + 3 occupants to the top but amazingly - with some slow steady driving, despite banging it's undercarriage several times, it made it... My brother runs a landscaping business in Toronto and part of that's snow clearing & driving in slippery conditions so he's handy at driving 4WD's...

My friend wasn't at all perturbed when one tire came off the rim. Pic shows my brother changing for the spare whilst we each took pics & video. No point stressing whilst on holiday! :D

Eventually we got to the top. The picture below is where the snow begun and we left the cars, but it got much prettier from here...

Not having ridden these things before I had no idea how fast or dangerous they were and proceeded to fall off several times, badly jarring my knee when I tried to follow my friend & do a jump, then landing it wrong...Hurt so much it made me feel nauseous, but we continued...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
We did see some spectacular views!

The pics below were what Rich - my friend from Whistler used to tempt me to go see him & do some sledding in B.C.

But despite the stunning views & beauty, riding sleds on glaciers is dangerous.
Too many dangers from crevasses, sleds tumbling down steep inclines covered with deep snow - whilst having to scramble out of the way (I didn't know not to decelerate as I got to the summit of a steep incline but it would have been scary if not dangerous jumping several meters into the air - not even knowing what was over the other side!)

We were all really impressed how Forester was so capable as a 4WD.
It came down the mountain no sweat. Just had to re-fit the tire on the rim the next day and it was running perfectly.

Rich persuaded me to return in the Spring the following year to spend a week sledding. His plan had been to explore the glaciers but after a day's madness I decided I really wanted to live.
So I spent the rest of the holiday snow boarding instead in Whistler. :D - So MUCH safer!

There you go, my experience of bush wacking in your back yard. :D

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
More of my backyard than Duck's...as he has to take a ferry, get to the mainland and then drive almost 3 hours to get to Whistler. I'm about 2 1/4 hours away, beautiful mountainside.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
You're right nobody. Sorry, I'd not clocked you were from Vancouver too.
Beautiful city. Have some great memories of being there over the years.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
It's funny though, the folks on the island are almost a 2 hour ferry ride away (depending on where you go) but if you could actually drive the distance it would be considerably less...and the way I ride it wouldn't take long at all...;)

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Stig, Thanks for posting that. I REALLY enjoyed your photos...And the story.
We have an absolutely stunning backyard out here. I love high altitude place as there is always no one else around. And with views like what you have shown you feel like you have gone to the top of the world. Yes very dangerous to do snow mobile riding up on the peaks as help is SO far away most the time......but so worth it if you are careful and take your time. They are nothing like dirt bikes and the weight of them is something to get used to for sure.
Sounds like you did enjoy it though. Except the knee part.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I've travelled throughout the world & B.C. is one of the most beautiful places I've been to. You're both very fortunate to live there. :)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
It's funny though, the folks on the island are almost a 2 hour ferry ride away (depending on where you go) but if you could actually drive the distance it would be considerably less...and the way I ride it wouldn't take long at all...;)
Or if you could keep the throttle open the whole way you could probably cross the water on a snowmobile. :D

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I've travelled throughout the world & B.C. is one of the most beautiful places I've been to. You're both very fortunate to live there. :)
Have you seen our license plates here ? " The most beautiful place on earth " LOL

Or if you could keep the throttle open the whole way you could probably cross the water on a snowmobile. :D
I would actually pay to see that, Nobody.....your up first I'll follow if you do not sink.....LOL

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
yeah you'd need to follow him in a boat...just in case! :D

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Yes we are blessed...not too many places where you could ski/snowboard, go boating, get in a round of golf and riding all in the same day. I know I've done it...

Stig if you ever come back this way feel free to drop us a line and say hello!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts