RC51 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
great to join this group. After wanting one for years I just bought my first RC51, an '02 with Sato low mount titanium cans and full headers, K&N and a non-functioning Power Commander 3R. When I look at the Dynojet website and look up a new Power Commander for it, evidently the newest version, PC 6, does not come up as compatible. Neither does the discontinued PC5, which are available other places online. Do I need to find an older PC 3 to retrofit onto the bike or will these newer modules work and the Dynojet website just doesn't list that- which seems an odd oversight considering all the other '02 Honda models they do verify compliance with?
If the new modules will work, are tunes still available for the SP2/Sato/K&N setup?

Lastly, what is everyone's experience with retrofitting Galfer rotors? They certainly look cool, but is there a tangible increase in stopping power/wear/fade/cooling?

Thanks in advance.
Zach

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. DJ is not going to carry maps for the old hardware anymore. Go here ROGUE RC51 Owners Group of United Enthusiasts and click on Mods, then find the section on PCIII maps. As far as your rotor question, I would focus on pads, braided lines, and upgraded master cylinder first.

If your PCIII does not work at all and needs to be replaced put a WTB in the marketplace and see if anyone has one to sell. Not sure about PCV compatibility, maybe someone else can answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much appreciated for the replies. I'll post pics when I get the bike back from my mechanic. I have him servicing the injectors, new plugs, fresh Dunlop Q3+'s F/R new Galfer rotors all the way around, brake pads, new Hotbodies undertail and fresh chain and sprockets. The old girl has 43,000 miles on her and I wanted to have her feeling as fresh as possible, and my businesses are so busy I don't presently have time to wrench.

He ordered a new PC5 for it, which delivers tomorrow, and I presume it will plug into the injectors correctly, but if not I will definitely go the route of an all-call for a PC3 and see what turns up. As for the tunes, very much appreciated. With the non-funcioning PC3R in place it was running lean and poping on decel, so I know with the pipes it's gettting more air through it, but not the requisite amount of added fuel to run correctly. The popping on decel could also be due to a leaky exhaust donut at the header on the front cylinder, so that has yet to be sorted. Once the injectors and plugs are back in he will dive into that one.

As for the braided lines and upgraded master cylinder- are the stock lines prone to problems? And who sells upgraded master cylinders and what improvement can be seen with that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wont power up at all. My mechanic is a longtime tuner and he couldn't get it to do anything. Plus, the guy I boight it from told me that one day it wouldn't start and when he had it looked at, they couldn't get it to work so they unplugged it and the bike fired up. I wish it wasn't, from what I understand the 3R is desireable from the aspect of being able to adjust timing, but it appears to be cooked.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It wont power up at all. My mechanic is a longtime tuner and he couldn't get it to do anything. Plus, the guy I boight it from told me that one day it wouldn't start and when he had it looked at, they couldn't get it to work so they unplugged it and the bike fired up. I wish it wasn't, from what I understand the 3R is desireable from the aspect of being able to adjust timing, but it appears to be cooked.
I've heard of bad 2s and 3s , but never a 3r. I've still got one myself. I believe the 6 does timing as well. I know Dynojet doesn't list the 6 for the RC on their website , but someone posted a link to one for the RC either here or on Facebook , I followed the link myself to see.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’m using a 3r on a couple of my bikes and never had a problem with them and they have both been swapped from a previous bike to the current ones so have done quite a bit of mileage.
I do have a spare for them both though just in case they do fail (the spare powercommanders came with an exhaust I bought as part of the deal and the other i bought cheaply years ago.
Always worth looking out for old parts whilst you can get them

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Some of us on this forum are using the PC5 and it should work. See the note here to ID the correct PC5 to get and the issue with earlier versions, PCV & autotune install guide for the RC51 (Power...

IMO, there's no significant need for braided lines, rotors, etc., if the original equipment is in reasonably good shape. Unless you want to mods like that.

Good luck and cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts