RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this might be interesting, I vividly remember the first time I ever saw an rc, I was at a honda dealership with my dad in mechanicsburg, pa and some guy ripped out of the parking lot and rode a wheelie up the road, I couldn't believe my ears! Ill never forget that. From that moment on, I always wanted one!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I first saw RC51s when they first came out, but actually thought the deep exhaust note was unappealing.

Then I grew up ... and realized it's way more awesome than irritating high-pitched winey 4-cylinder bees.

The crossplane YZF R1 sounds bad to the bone, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpOch_DSg0o

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
First time I saw one, I was driving down the freeway...
Okay, stop and go traffic..
Guy in front of me would wheelie start and stoppie stop.

I thought it was awesome,.. back in the day when, for me, riding like
an asshat was normal practice.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
I first saw RC51s when they first came out, but actually thought the deep exhaust note was unappealing.

Then I grew up ... and realized it's way more awesome than irritating high-pitched winey 4-cylinder bees.

The crossplane YZF R1 sounds bad to the bone, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpOch_DSg0o
The crankshaft of the R1 is the same layout as in most V8s, minus one bank of cylinders.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
2000 Vancouver International Motorcycle Show...had to have one then but was working at a Yamaha dealership. But I have never owned a brand new bike.

I was always able to fix them so I have never bought new...the RC is really the only bike the I have considered buying new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It was fall of 2000. I was 15. Just had my learners permit. Was driving out to walmart with a friend when this....this thing ROARED past me. Scared the bejaysus outta me. I only saw a blur of red/black/silver. Sure enough he pulled into walmart too. The sound was intoxicating.
So I lurked.
And stared.
And something inside of me changed that day....
Never did get one until 2009, best day of my life (up until that point)
Unfortunately lost her 5 weeks later to a reckless driver...
Picked up a 954rr after that but still longed for an RC.....
And now I have another and I am complete.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was fall of 2000. I was 15. Just had my learners permit. Was driving out to walmart with a friend when this....this thing ROARED past me. Scared the bejaysus outta me. I only saw a blur of red/black/silver. Sure enough he pulled into walmart too. The sound was intoxicating.
So I lurked.
And stared.
And something inside of me changed that day....
Never did get one until 2009, best day of my life (up until that point)
Unfortunately lost her 5 weeks later to a reckless driver...
Picked up a 954rr after that but still longed for an RC.....
And now I have another and I am complete.
Thats great! That's why I started this thread. Its such a unique bike that everybody remembers when they heard the illusive beast for the first time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thats great! That's why I started this thread. Its such a unique bike that everybody remembers when they heard the illusive beast for the first time.

:cool: This is a great thread! Awesome idea Farf.
Oh, and FYI, I've been repeating the word farfignugen in my head for the last hour.....its now on my list of favorite words...
Right up there with Hamper and Anchor.
Sounds like an expensive Law firm
Hamper, Anchor, and Farfignugen. We always win, always

I still can't quite place why this bike pulls at my soul the way it does. I mean, mine is 11 years old, I just traded a 2011 ZX6R for it. And I would do it again in a blink.;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lets see if grey matter still works.....late 1999 and I put down a deposit on the upcoming 2000 ZX-12. Then I hear rumblings about a new reasonably priced RC Honda. Pics and specs finally appear and I swap my deposit from the Ninja to the RC. Picked her up from the dealer in April 2000 ! ! !

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:cool: This is a great thread! Awesome idea Farf.
Oh, and FYI, I've been repeating the word farfignugen in my head for the last hour.....its now on my list of favorite words...
Right up there with Hamper and Anchor.
Sounds like an expensive Law firm
Hamper, Anchor, and Farfignugen. We always win, always

I still can't quite place why this bike pulls at my soul the way it does. I mean, mine is 11 years old, I just traded a 2011 ZX6R for it. And I would do it again in a blink.;)
Haha, that's great. There's a firm around here called Tolbert, Beadle, and Musgrave. Super funny. Yea there is something about the rc51 that you can't resist!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lets see if grey matter still works.....late 1999 and I put down a deposit on the upcoming 2000 ZX-12. Then I hear rumblings about a new reasonably priced RC Honda. Pics and specs finally appear and I swap my deposit from the Ninja to the RC. Picked her up from the dealer in April 2000 ! ! !
Thats great, a true follower from the beginning! Man I wish I had one new.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not nearly as cool as the rest of your stories.... I must have been 17 or so and was flipping through magazines as my mom was grocery shopping and there it was. The awesome look of the headlights and front end was engrained into my memory. That 'profile' still shows up in my more favorable dreams from time to time. Little did I know I would own one some 13 years later.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wanted an RC45 but couldn't afford one, so I got an NC35 and that was close enough. When the RC51 came out, I wanted one but couldn't afford it. Well, actually it was the insurance I couldn't afford. So I waited till I got old enough, and bought one. Can't quite remember when I first put my eyes on one though. Drank way too much over the last decade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was 18-19 I remember seeing them in magazines and on TV, thought it was the coolest looking bike at the time. One day went to a bike dealer and saw the red color scheme and pretty much fell in love with the Rc. The insurance was around 350$ a month and that wasn't at all going to happen, my car was only 125$ a month. Saw a few TL1000 hauling ass by on the highway later on and knew I still wanted a Rc because of the look and the v-twin sound, just so beastly. 12 years later I finally have one first bike, was worth waiting for I almost was 2 now.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I went to buy tires for the '84 fj 1100 the dealer said dunlop didn't support the 16 inch rim any more That I had an obsolete size

So after not being able to get the "bansaid" RC sound out of my head from the previous summer out of my mouth came "IF YA GET IT O.T.D. for under 8k I'll take it

He did. I got a mint 03 in oct.04 with 500 miles and the ride home was not too good the engine had nothing but grunt and the off idle sucked!

Twenty miles to my shop / twenty minutes on the phone / thirty miles to the dyno

P.S. the cbr is soooooo very sanitary it is apples to oranges.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
A local guy I've seen riding but never met works out at the gym across the street and rides a kinda ragged lookin' RC, but it's still INCREDIBLE SOUNDING. Heard him coming down the street one day, the rumble echoing between the office buildings all around us, jumped up to see what it was, saw it was an RC, and knew right then after hearing it again in person that if I was gettin' a bike it was gonna be an RC51.

Plus I had already seen (HEARD) this guy's two vids:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
For me it was back in high school, a buddy and I were dreaming big and squidding it up at the Honda dealership. He had is eye on the Erion edition 929 and I with always being out gunned by him on his 400EX to my 300EX, I had to go bigger with the RC. It’s so obviously now that at the time I knew nothing about sort bikes.:rolleyes:

As the months went by and at the end of our senior year he put a deposit down for a ‘02 954, then left for USMC boot camp, but later changing the deposit for a 660 Raptor. But during the time he was planning on getting the 954, it was enough to re-spark my interest in sport bikes. This was my second introduction to the RC, but this time it was the SP2 as they were just making their appearance into the showrooms.

Thinking back, it was the bold styling; the twin headlights flanking the massive air intake and the duel exhaust is what got my attention this time over the others. Then, I too, have had joined the Marines, boot camp, training and life always kept getting a bike on the back burner and mostly out of mind.

In March/April 2010, I was finally in the position to get a first bike and while researching the F4i and the 600RR, neither of them gave me the feeling that I felt back in high school over the RC. During that time was when I learned what the RC51 truly was and as they say “the rest is history.”

James

1 - 20 of 55 Posts