RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive decided I want to put in my first track day, But I'm completely new to street racing and was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions i have. First off what tracks are in the L.A. area? What gear is required? (Will a 2 piece leather suit work or do you need 1 piece leathers?) And what do i need to do to my bike to track it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
If it's a 2 piece, it has to zipper all the way around. Best thing to do is find track day organizations around you and get one of their pamphlets or read through their rules online.

Think of it like you're learning to ride all over again. Absorb as much as you can from the control riders/coaches and be humble. You've got all afternoon to be fast and apply what you've learned so concentrate on getting a good line in the morning. Also, bring and drink lots of water throughout the day.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Some tracks have vendors that rent suits by the day.
Which could be a bargain if you only do in infrequent track days.
However, if you're track day junkie, then it would be best to buy you own suit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, guys. By the way I'm in Los Angeles so I think Willow Springs is the closest track.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
No the closest tracks in L.A. are in riverside I think or fontana. willow springs is a good start too, also checkout chuckwalla in palm springs....some places to start off from.

might also be who of you to have some extra gas along with you. unless you like paying near $6-7/gal of premium. don't forget a neck gator, it'll cover the backside of your neck from getting sunburn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the link, more tracks around here than I realized.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Exactly raylee, not just leathers, some want your bike safety wired too.

One piece is the way to go and our site sponsors have some decent gear offerings too

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app bitches

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bring a chair, a hat, sunscreen, some basic tools (I had to loosen my chain to pass inspection.). Some blue painters masking tape to cover your lights/indicators. Need tires with good tread left. Look for local track day organizations for days/locations/requirements.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Being a track virgin myself, I found this thread to be really interesting. 4 pages of discussion about an incident at the track.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/street-track/59657-whos-fault.html
Ahh, the good old days when speedzilla actually had people sharing information.

Good discussion about passing. I find that the situation of people bitching about other riders being too slow stems from a few situations:

1. The faster rider is sand bagging in a slower group. Some do this to ride with their friends in the slower group, some do it to feel better about themselves or get good camera footage, "look how many people I passed!". Some do it because they are on a slower bike, i.e. an expert on a 250 or motard. Usually those guys are seasoned enough to know what's what and don't bitch.

2. The slower rider is in a group above their skill level. Again, riders do this to ride with their friends, or due to their egos.

3. Nobody has complained about the slower rider being above their head. Or they have and the org doesn't enforce their own rules.

I've had situations come from all three. It's part of track riding and you'll never be able to completely stop it from happening. Speak up to an instructor, but be courteous about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts