RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Ok, I'll admit right off I'm not an RC51 guru by any means. I have an SP2 in decent shape with some nice mods.

Currently i have a PCIII USB installed (and a PCV in the box). But i hear the term Flashed ECU a lot. Is this something done along with, or instead of the Power Command? And, well... why would an ECU get flashed?

Part two? PCIII works just fine, any benefit to the PCV?

Thanks for the education!

·
Registered
7 Posts
no major benefits between the PCV and the PCIII, they do the same job, only thing is that the PCV is an updated unit with the access to connect an Quickshifter too it or an Autotune sensor.

Speaking of flashing the ECU, it gets done on a couple of modern bikes, dont think it can be done on the RC51 ;)

greetings

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Flashing can be done it is just not widely in use nor price effective as there are no major gains in performance over a quality tune with a very cheap piggyback unit like the PCIII , PCV, Bazzaz etc unless of course you raise the rev-limiter when doing the reflash which is also a quick recipe for grenading the engine.

Just for the sake of clarification: ECU-Flashing is overall better with modern bikes than piggybacking them. The main reason is there are so many Emissions compliance regulations enforced now on current machinery that they are in many cases VERY detuned from what the engine can output. They do this to pass those tests by various EPA style agencies in countries all over the world so now instead of just fine tuning your engine with a piggyback module you can literally allow the engine to function at a higher performance level all around. Much higher than the piggyback tuner alone would ever be possible of because the software in the ECU is holding back the performance not just the amount of injector dwell time feeding the engine fuel.

With ECU flashing you can also change all the other parameters too. Injector Bias, Traction Control Slip Tables, Secondary butterfly control, OEM Quickshifter settings, Exhaust Servos. Basically any function in the ECU can be altered or removed etc with enough effort.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I always understood you could not Flash the RC51 ECU. If you wanted to have the rev-limiter raised you sent it to a company and they would cut the rubber filler out and replace a resister.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts