RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I'd love a set of Ohlins, I'm not THAT well off. I have thought about sucking up to my Ohlins mate that works in the GP circus(J.L.'s susp' tech' dude) for the skinny on a better priced pair from Sweden, but that's just a bit rich, isn't it?!?
So; what've you all done to get the RC/SP steering better? I love the idea of getting the sliders TiNi coated (or whatever the correct term is), revalved, better oil and springs to suit me and my riding. I'm curious to hear from y'all.
Post 'em up!

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I had my forks reworked by Kyle racing who installed their Ohlins equivalent compression and rebound valves, installed springs to match my weight, and using Ohlins #4 fork oil.
Ohlins makes their own replacement valve kits as well as Race-Tech, who are very good.
I also have an Ohlins 3-way rear shock with remote hydraulic pre-load adjust as well.

Don't bother with TiN coating. The better coating is DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon).
It has a lower friction coefficient and is more durable. It also uses a thinner coating layer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There we go: forward progress with my research!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
hmmm..subsailor, how much Dan Kyle charged u for the rebuild your front fork?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
More than usual.
Since my bike had over 24K miles at the time, I had the forks completely rebuilt with bushings, seals, dust covers, etc.
Also I had both springs replaced to match my weight at the time, in addition to the compression and rebound valves.
So the total was around $700 USD.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ok...i emailed to them & they charged me ard $580 including shipping (own fixing)

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Besides their valve kits and springs, both Race-Tech and Traxxion Dynamics also have their replacement cartridge kits that replace the stock internals.

From Traxxion Dynamics site, their kit includes both cartridges valved to your riding style along with springs to match your weight, and their replacement fork caps with preload adjusters. All for $999.95 USD.
I'm sure Race-Tech is comparable.

Now if you really want to get high-tech, Traxxion also has their replacement nitrogen-pressurized cartridge kits. And these cartridges only run you about $2400 USD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts