RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently discovered a fork seal leaking on the left side fork. My question is can the forks leak form the bottom? I don't think it is but I'm very curious and I just changed out my fork seals about 8 months ago and the right side is straight........just wandering.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes, they will leak from the bottom of the fork tube housing. if your talking about where the fork tube is fitted into the end cap (which the calipers mount to and axle runs through) then no. i see no reason or way it could leak through there, but perhaps someone else knows something about this that i dont. hard landing wheelies will destroy the fork seals very quickly on the rc (just an fyi).

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, yeah wheelies is prob what killed the seals the first time so i've calmed down since then. I'm going to replace the seals this time and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Wheelies are notorious fork seal killers.
Especially if the front end is dropped down hard.
Not too good on steering head bearings either.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Hard to say how many miles before replacement.
It all depends on how stressed they are during use.
Doing wheelies puts tremendous stress on the entire front end.
Also racing is stressful due to braking forces.

That's why one should periodically check for wear/slop in the bearings and torque to spec if loose or replace if they have developed a notch in the races.

The best is to replace the ball bearings for tapered roller bearings from All Balls Racing.
The tapered roller bearings have much more surface area to distribute load.

I haven't had to replace my steering head bearings yet (they are in good shape), but I will replace them with All Balls Racing tapered rollers when I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts