RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to get a pit pull trailer restraint system, but that's not in the finances right now. So I've been thinking to fab up a eyelet, that would thread onto the unused portion of the through bolt/threaded rod of the frame slider, to be used as a tie down point.

With my current sliders I have about 1" to 1-1/4" of the threaded rod that sticks out past the nut inside the slider its self. For the left side I would need an internal threaded rod about 3-1/4" long and one 2-1/4" long for the right. For the eyelet i would use a full machined eye bolt. I've already thought to get a high tensile steal threaded rod to replace the one that came with my sliders, I'm sure that this one is just plane mild steal.

Does anyone for see any problems with doing this?

Thanks for any help and insight,
James

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I'm no engineer or mill-rite or anything, but I just wouldn't do it. Don' think th erod is big or heavy duty enough to handle that kind of load at a constant pressure and extended time. Canyon dancer and/or double loop ended straps with ratchet tie-downs attached to the triple trees/bars and swing arm.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I'm no engineer or mill-rite or anything, but I just wouldn't do it. Don' think th erod is big or heavy duty enough to handle that kind of load at a constant pressure and extended time. Canyon dancer and/or double loop ended straps with ratchet tie-downs attached to the triple trees/bars and swing arm.
I'd have to agree...the tried and true method works is proven and if you already have the straps doesn't cost in time or money.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'd pass. Just due to that being a lower are of the bike. Lower triple tree and rear foot peg brackets are my traditional area to mount her down.;)

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input gents. With seeing the photos with people lifting and supporting the bike off the ground by the sliders, I thought that also using them as tie down would be a good idea. But you guys validated some of the concerns I have with doing it.

Currently I don't have a Canyon Dancer or the loop straps. I've seen the Canyon Dancer before, my concern with it was the strap the goes from bar to bar. It looks to me that the tank/fairing stay/stabilizer would get in the way. I've done the forum search and I'm going to be asking for members input on the RidersDiscount thread.

Thanks
James

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I used a canyon dancer for the whole time I owned the RC (about 5 years) and never had a single issue. I had the older style with the straps instead of the cones that go over the bar ends. I never bothered with ratchet straps. They are overkill on a bike, and you don't need to get a bike any tighter than you can get with simple cinch straps. I also never tied down the back like I see so many people do. Waste of time really, and the rear isn't going anywhere if the forks are tied down correctly.

I don't think the sliders would work well as tie down points. If you know a welder, you could use them as a hard mount point for a rigid restraint system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts