RC51 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm weary about cutting holes in my nice plastic. On the other hand, if something may happen later on the street or track, a 1.5" hole will be "minor".
Would you?
Have you?
Let's hear some arguments for, or against. Feel free to post pics as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They have their bad and goods. The bad I've seen a R1 go down pretty lightly which was sliding on the pavement slowly until it hit the grass and the frame slider dug in causing it to go end over end caus damage to the tank,tail, and both sides. And cutting a big hole in your nice plastics is no fun. The good It will save the frame and a bunch of other parts which in turn will save you some cash. I have a buddy that went down with Frame sliders Swingarm Spool Sliders and some good short stout bar ends and all he recieved was a little rash on the tail and a beat up ego. Make sure you get the spools or swingarm sliders they will save your bike and slow your bike down in the case of a sliding crashs. The weight of your motor will normally pull your front in first while your swingarm slider is in the back grinding in slowing down the bike. Make sure that if you get some after market bar-ends don't get extended or longer then stock ones because they will snap as soon as your bar hits. Go with the short strong ones. I've seen and rode up on my share of wipe outs and the guys with the sliders normally come out on top and even get to pick the bike up and ride away.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I don't think they work and are pointless for a street bike anyways. To many times I have seen the good ones break off and the bike is ruined. Now for track why not. Track plastics usually arent painted up fancy and drilling holes in those is no big deal. Track pavements tend to be alot smoother to unlike road surfaces with all the cracks, expansion joints etc. etc.

I agree with getting some good bar ends and swinger spools.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am set on the swingarm sliders. I needed spools for my rear stand so I picked up some pretty beefy delrin units. Bar ends were already on.
I've seen some "not so perfect" fairings on ebay (some with holes already cut). Maybe I'll pick up a set for now, and keep my nice stockers stored if I ever want to sell the bike or whatever.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. i just flipped my bike end over end at 50 MPH. all the fairings are trashed EXCEPT the sides. I had the frame sliders on there. they are both alll messed up and full of road and grass but the side fairings are fine. MINOR scratches. I only wish they stuck out a little farther then they do. to bad my rear sets are in such good shape lolololo. I actually plan on lookin in to race cages maybe. just my opinion

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I had frame sliders on mine when I bought it.
Since I had to replace the body work, I simply couldn't come to drill holes through the new panels.
If I lay the bike down, it'll cost so much to fix it again, frame sliders would be irrelevant.

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
Yes...as long as they are on the short side. I got these from Dan Kyle not to long after I bought the bike. Cutting the mint fairings was a bit scary but if you take your time, it's really not too bad.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My friend and I both do track days with our RC51s and both lowsided this year. The crashes were low speed, so I was out less than $100 with frame sliders but he rashed up his 2004 Nicky Hayden stock plastics pretty bad and was well over $500 without frame sliders...

I think they have just as much place on the street as the track with how expensive stock fairings are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.