RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cleaned the calipers and all pistons are moving freeley by hand.
New fluid, pins are clean and lubed , front axle nut is @ 40 ft./lbs., pinch bolts after bouncing forks with the wheel on the ground @ 20 ft./lbs.

put my used hrc soft bites in and the wheel is hard to rotate and rotors make a grinding sound ( it is on a handystand and I wonder if that moved the pinch )

I can't even get a full turn and had to leave for work this morning bikeless:eek:

Any Ideas fellas :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where you able to check your rotors to be true? Warped maybe? High spots can cause pads to drag. Can u tell which side caliper is dragging best way is to take the one caliper of and eliminate that way.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Is your master cylinder overfilled?
You said you reinstalled the used pads, so I wouldn't ordinarily expect it to be.
Axle spacers on the correct sides?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responces, rotors are true,spacers are correct and fluid is not overfilled.
It's rain in the forecast today and I think tonight I will put it up on the triplestand and reset the pinch using the spin and brake method then report back.
This set has a pebble gouge on one pad and mebbie needs a file taken to it ?

(grasping at straws) :eek:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Ok I used to work at a bike wrecker eons ago...we would have to push the bikes in and out and for the most part it was straight forward. On occasion we would get bikes that didn't push so easily, so what we did was smack the calipers with a dead blow hammer and that would fix the brake drag issue temporarily.

Try it if it the wheel spins freely from there then you still have a braking issue...if not then it's either a problem with the install, bearings, fork height or the spacer in between the bearings? Grasping still...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sure hope so J.D. it's mebbie just the pinch needs adjusting, I am almost done with this bike (again) and little issues always seem to pop-up right at the end at least it doesn't look like this anymore ( a month ago) @ SBK DREWS SHOP :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well guys here is the scoop, If you have a triple tree stand the spin and brake hard then tighten pinch bolts yeilded better results.(STILL NOT HAPPY)
Prior to that I removed one caliper at a time and drag was cut in half.

Then I called DEVO and asked about new pads thinking backerplates warped when i was tracking -it ???

As I stared at my new in the bag HRC Hardbites and did NOT want to put them on to find out if that was the issue.

Then I noticed something non related but troubleing none the less,my rotors were not perfectly centered in the calipers :mad: the marchi instruction was to cut the oem spacer on the lathe right at the shoulder which I had done years ago when the rims were new FAAAKKK now I have two issues and can smell barbicue ribs from the girlie in the kitchen MMMMM :( gotta solve this first !!!

Bingo LDH ;) I then Called DK racing asked LIZ what she was wearing flirted a bit :)then talked to Mike.

The spacer spec. he was willing to look -up and call back,but assured me it was un-related then explained since I had not ridden it yet and different pads were installed I would experience parasitic drag until the different pads bedded in and THEN I could fine tune the pinch :D

Brainerd Internatinal Raceway Saturday lunchtime Spectator laps $ 20.00 with the girlfreind on the back ;) this weekend !!!

Back to the spacer I needed to get the rotors and wheel to the left about .060 all the tire changes wore the spacer or it was never perfect doesn't matter!!! or re-make a spacer what to do what to do :rolleyes:

The kitchen was smelling like heaven must resist must solve and finish the bike !!!

digging in bins and rummaging spares I almost gave-in to supper !
staring at my bad transmission on the shelf I pulled a gear off and low and behold a pair of perfect spacers :D

Bingo !!!

Thanks LDH ! and the rest of youz guyz !!!

Got her done last night and on the sidestand "Fvvk the rain" cant wait to test the First passenger ever to ride on the back the fast by gast tranny and new slipper @ the track Saturday !!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
On that first photo, did you just park that spacer on the axle for safe keeping, or is that how you actually install it?
I ask because that doesn't look like the correct side for it.
That may be the problem.

Here's what the Ohlins FG832 manual shows for spacer arrangement.
The left spacer is more of a sleeve to accommodate the left axle head.
The right spacer is for use with OEM front wheel.

Here's the photo showing the sleeve on the left fork and the spacer for OEM wheels on the right fork.

A photo showing the customer spacer used with BST/Marchesini wheel

And a photo showing a comparison between the spacers for OEM front wheel and BST/Marchesini wheel.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, SUB I just slid it on there for the fitment check.

Interesting, the custom spacer shown would never work with my wheel as there would be a gap about .200 and with the captive spacers provided on the BNIB wheels circa 2004 cutting flush on the OEM spacers shoulder worked mint.

Also that was what DK told me to do.

(however I never really checked that the rotors were perfectly centered to the calipers)

I think after many tire changes the spacer squashed a little or the wheel may have been off center to the right .120 for some time.

That said I run take-offs and used tire profile would negate any weird handling also the changes are more frequent than most.

Today is 45 deg. and the track tommorow will be 50 deg. for a high and steady 25 mph wind, but I will ride it bed in the pads and report back.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I definitely have different wheels than this guy mine have captive black anodised spacers.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-rc51/19257-ohlins-marchesini-rim-spacers.html

VTR 1000 SP1/SP2 (RC51) 2000 2006 TA71217 17” x 3,50”

This is the p/n I beleive I have.
Are these the 5-spoke Marchesini's?
The ones I run are the 10-spoke, which could possible differ slightly(?).
The left fork spacer for my Ohlins FG832 is like the diagram above, but the right fork spacer is bare aluminum.

I sifted through my photos (I try to document and photo everything. Comes in handy) and found a photo of the spacers I use.
The right spacer is practically the same as the red one from DK.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are ten spoke wheels and now the rotors are perfectly centered and 4 spins by hand :D:D:D all is good the bike runs and stops great thanks LDH AND SBK DREW !:D

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a similar problem with a BST front wheel and Ohlins FG832.

Quick question: What is the thickness of the spacer that I have to make? Will 1mm be ok?
Thank you

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts