RC51 Forums banner

Front Brakes Locking Up - Heavy Low Side Crash

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  LDH® 
#1 ·
Dear Forum;

Let me first ask that no one take the time to respond with a sarcastic response.

I just purchased a 2003 and on my second ride had the front brakes lock up resulting in a nasty low side crash. With 25 years of street and track experience under my belt this came as quite a surprise. The road was dry, I am running new Michelin Power 5's (a possible contributor) and installed EBC HH brake pads front and back; the old ones were shot. I have thought back through the experience trying to minimize the bruise to my ego, and cannot for the life of me understand how it happened. I was using the front brake to slow down knowing a 15MPH corner was in front of me, instead the front end locked up, the speed did not decrease to the speed at which I was comfortable trying to make the 15MPH corner and risk a high side.

I have made the exact same maneuver on my 2010 VFR1200 on the same straight without any issue; same tires, same brakes.

What I am looking for is advice or a recommendation from the group as to any handling characteristics I may not be familiar with on a 17 year old machine. I have thrown around a 600lb VFR for years and have not been concerned about how the bike handles. This experience, aside from being costly, is weighing heavily on my mind.

I would appreciate any insight and will ignore any comments that are not beneficial. I am happy to answer any questions that may help resolve my concern.

Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
Aside from just the obvious issue of hitting some debris or liquid on the road surface there are a myriad of variables that can cause the front end to tuck on an RC51. Especially since many riders lower the front end and/or raise the rear adding additional weight to the already biased front end.

Proper geometry set-up is critical as if proper suspension set-up, brake system maintenance, tire pressure etc and if were you I would definitely stop using shitty brake pads...

ROGUE Brake Pads Information Page

#4 ·
Fair enough about the pads; you know the saying about what opinions are like...

Tire pressure 38; suspension set based on a baseline provided on this site that I had no time to adjust; fork tubes 8mm, new Motul brake fluid; normal for the work I have done for decades. Mind you it was not a tuck, the bike slide in a straight line for probably 75 feet in a straight line.

I will review the Rogue information in detail. Thank you for your thoughts.

#5 ·
If the front end just locked up under normal or moderate braking, then I might inspect the calipers and maybe even a complete rebuild with new piston seals. I'm thinking they might have been neglected by the previous owner and old/ dirty enough to not retract properly. Did the forks bottom out? Do you know if the previous owner ever serviced the forks. If not 17 years is a bit long in the tooth for fork oil.

#8 ·
The RC51 has no electronic assists like traction control or ABS. Doesn't even have a slipper clutch. Your VFR has combined ABS and a slipper clutch which makes this an apples to oranges comparison. If you hit a dirty patch of road entering a turn it's within the realm of possibility that the RC lost front grip under braking, locked the wheel and sent you into a low side.

I just guessing so I have no way of knowing if this is what happened. It's a bummer for sure and I'm sorry to hear your RC hit the ground. Hopefully you are OK and the bike damage was not severe.

#17 ·
I would definitely recommend an Ohlins rear shock for sure and the Kyle linkage. The Ohlins is rebuild-able. The OEM shock is only good for a paperweight.

As far as the forks go, Dan Kyle racing does a great job of getting the OEM forks to work very well. It is not going to break the bank either. If money is no object then you cant go wrong with Ohlins forks.

+1 on the 32 PSI as well. Depending on the tires i'm usually 30 to 32 PSI for the rear too.

#21 ·
Sorry to hear about your mishap, I have a VFR1200 and RC51 as well, and had the same issue as you. I was coming into a 15mph corner at about 25 and just tipped her in to set up for the turn, and the car in front of me panic braked. That caused me to do a knee-jerk reaction and grab the front brake quickly, but not really hard. Went down instantly. On the VFR I had a few close calls with erratic drivers and no issues.

While the brakes on both bikes are stellar, the react quite differently. The VFR has ABS and a softer suspension that provides more mechanical grip(correct term?), and "time" to recover or correct your actions as it reacts to inputs more slowly. Additionally the VFR is more of a "sit-in" bike and the RC is more of a sit-on bike with more of your weight over the front. If you don't hold your body up with your core while braking at street speeds it's not much of an issue on the VFR, but the RC will shake her head at you.

I love my VFR's because they are easy to ride, and don't bite back like the RC. But someone on the forum said it best a while back, something about the RC being a handful at low and medium speeds but once you really get going it just comes into it's own. In fact right around the pace the VFR ties itself in knots, the RC becomes sublime, and disappears beneath you.

Also +1 on the tire pressures, I run 32F/33R on the RC and 36F/38R on the VFR unloaded and 38/42 fully loaded

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.