RC51 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap, I have a VFR1200 and RC51 as well, and had the same issue as you. I was coming into a 15mph corner at about 25 and just tipped her in to set up for the turn, and the car in front of me panic braked. That caused me to do a knee-jerk reaction and grab the front brake quickly, but not really hard. Went down instantly. On the VFR I had a few close calls with erratic drivers and no issues.

While the brakes on both bikes are stellar, the react quite differently. The VFR has ABS and a softer suspension that provides more mechanical grip(correct term?), and "time" to recover or correct your actions as it reacts to inputs more slowly. Additionally the VFR is more of a "sit-in" bike and the RC is more of a sit-on bike with more of your weight over the front. If you don't hold your body up with your core while braking at street speeds it's not much of an issue on the VFR, but the RC will shake her head at you.

I love my VFR's because they are easy to ride, and don't bite back like the RC. But someone on the forum said it best a while back, something about the RC being a handful at low and medium speeds but once you really get going it just comes into it's own. In fact right around the pace the VFR ties itself in knots, the RC becomes sublime, and disappears beneath you.

Also +1 on the tire pressures, I run 32F/33R on the RC and 36F/38R on the VFR unloaded and 38/42 fully loaded

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
What's blue powder ?
About 16 years ago I did a STAR school at Mid America and crashed on a sighting lap at slow speed. Afterwards there was a blue pixie dust all over my tires and it became a running joke. Unfortunately laughing aside it cost a lot, tore up a really nice RC51 and 3 other riders went down that same day in similar circumstances, but the track kept it all hush hush at the time.

As it turns out the SCCA had put on a car driving school at the track and they use blue chalk on the track to show braking markers and apex points etc. Not a problem when you have 4 tires and massive contact patches, but not so good for motorcycles running on a contact patch the size of a quarter

21 - 23 of 23 Posts