RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it got cold it has seemed to get worse. Is that just due to temp difference, I can't buy an Ohlins or afford to send off for a rebuild any other advise could help. Bike is stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Yes, the cold weather can have an effect on suspension.

That's why engine oil is multi-viscosity. That 'W' in 10W40 stands for Winter.
However, suspension oil is not multi-viscosity, so if the temperature is low enough, it can possibly affect suspension action.

And since the only heat that forks and shock generate is due to fluid and mechanical friction, traveling down the road can chill the oil even more that in the garage (esp. the forks).

So if one plans on riding during the winter, you could drain the current suspension oil and replace with lighter viscosity oil, and the reverse when it warmed up again in Spring.

And also the opposite can occur if the temperature is very high as well.
Your suspension may not work as expected if touring through Death Valley in the Summer for instance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate all the feedback, so what oil do you guys use in your forks? Bike sat for a very long time but road ok not great, then it cooled off and wants to tear my wrists up. Rainy cold weekend need to check those forks out and at least change the fluid.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
My most recent off was due to front tire washout...
Do a set of racetech valves/springs... new oil and seals.
Probably Factory oil in there !

·
Registered
527 Posts
Rough Seas.

Cycledog51, you got a great explanation of your problem from SubSailor.

If you follow the Service manual or Owners' Manual for your bike related issues, you won't have any problems. Mine is stock & I use whatever the factory recommends. Except that I recently changed over to fully synthetic motor oil. (Motul).

I'll be in Sugar Land on my brother's 2013 Repsol CBR1000RR after Jan. 1st. for a week. So, if you're free, I can hit you up for a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
I am 53, i have been building bikes since i was 13 (francis barnett plover, look it up) it doesn't matter what i think, if the head bearings are fucked they're fucked and if they aint they aint, you will need to make your own mind up

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Noticed movement in the steering head moving the bike into the garage last night. Bike is low mileage what do guys think, try and tighten head nut or bearings probably bad?

Pull the top clamp, then check the torque on the stem nut.
After reassembling, check if the forks swing freely side to side, or if they're notchy or tight in one spot.
If so, replace the steering bearings and seals.
Your choice, OEM or All Ballz tapered rollers.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I am 53, i have been building bikes since i was 13 (francis barnett plover, look it up) it doesn't matter what i think, if the head bearings are fucked they're fucked and if they aint they aint, you will need to make your own mind up
What if he can't make up his own mind?:D

You are correct....they are or they aren't. But for me, I'd change them for shits and giggles.:cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worked on pretty much everything but stems and forks before on bikes. Do these bearings have to be seated like wheel bearings? Thanks for the advice guys as usual informative and entertaining as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts