RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running the OE front master cylinder on my SP-2. I was wondering if there a benefit to "upgrading" to a Brembo forged or billet front master cylinder? I have an RCS 19 forged m/c and a billet 19x18 from other bikes that could find a home on the RC51, but if the results are not significant, I'll stay with the stock piece.

Any user feedback?

-P.

·
Registered
728 Posts
up grading just your master cylinder isnt going to make a huge difference, you have to update your lines and end product ie slave cylinder or brake calipers to get the full effect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have SS lines already, and was looking for a set of HRC pads, but those are no longer available. I didn't know if a master cylinder upgrade would help improve feel or the quality of brake modulation.

-P.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...to other OE, radial-type calipers or a high end Brembo or Beringer?

I really wanted to see if I could improve the stock caliper set-up, as new radial calipers with adapters would push the price tag way into another territory. A Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder is under $300, and I have a used billet Brembo 19x18 that was meant for my friend's '08 ZX-10R track bike.

New calipers brings on an entirely new system.

-P.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
From what I understand, the HRC pads are discontinued.
You may be able to find some in a warehouse somewhere or where someone is willing to sale theirs.
Otherwise, there are excellent aftermarket pads available.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Check on ebay, I seen a set on there not too long ago and I know Ben had a set on the rc51parts website. As far as changing calipers.. yes change to some brembo monoblocs

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run my SP2 in the A class on Track dayz. I am running a Brembo 19x18 front brake master, Kevlar lines, Ebc rotors, Ebc HH sintered pads, it stops killer. I couldnt ask for better brakes, if your at a pro level like Ben Spies or Mladin and are pushing your brakes past the limits, then maybe drop a set brembo calipers, hrc pads, and cast iron race rotors on there, but most of us riders could improve on our skills rather than need super high dollar brake systems. I would spend the cash on suspension upgrade or lightweight race wheels, those upgrades make a big difference..

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd stick with stock or swap the whole front end

I think for its performance the stock set-up on the SP-2 is very well balanced and functional. For the money you'd spend on aftermarket calipers and m/c you may get a recent 1L front end complete. If the length of top-bottom matches a CBR/ZX/R1/GSXR 1L bike 08-10 it can be fine tuned to improve both the front end, brakes, and save some weight.

The SP-1/SP-2 had different m/c and different caliper mounting, and 0.5mm thicker disks and it was called a huge improvement in the area of feel.
My switching from 1 size m/c to an other what you lose in power you gain feel and vise-versa.

As I understand radial m/c are linear in action, instead of progressive as the angle of the pivot changes without changing the pivot length, o constant radius.
Radial calipers on the other hand are just radially mounted and I can only understand reduction of weight in suspended mass/inertia by having less material there to counter deformation of the lower part of the fork. Otherwise the real braking power comes from hydraulic pressure and pad/area/cf.

I like these brakes, and have disliked more powerful systems for being hard to master. Except for super-dooper ABS systems you have enough power to lock the wheel, it is feeling you are after and a strong hand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After running just aftermarket brake lines for a few years, I replaced the OE m/c on my '03 RC51 with a Brembo RCS 19 m/c. It is a little firmer than the OE m/c but didn't offer any huge improvement over stock except the ability to switch the lever ratio to 20 which does firm up the lever at the expense of increased effort. When the excellent stock brakes are working correctly, they are difficult to dramatically improve without replacing rotors and calipers. I was amazed at the difference a set of Alth rotors made on my bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts