RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Been a lurker on this site and the tech info has always been great.

Bike 2000 RC51 just passed 60,000 miles last week.

( I think) the front rotors are either worn or one has a slight bend. After 50 mph a decent pull on the front break gives a vibration. The lever is the same as it has always been. I am starting to suspect a slightly bent rotor.

Where can I get replacement OEM rotors ?

What is a reasonable price to pay for a decent set ?

I think thickness and straightness is key but how to I check if it's an online seller ?

Any comments greatly appreciated :)

It's my touring bike :eek:)

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Unfortunately, new OEM rotors from Honda parts suppliers will cost you around 400 each. So 800 for the fronts. There are better aftermarket options for less money. You can get Braketech full floating rotors for 370 each.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I will try to clean them first. Great advice I didn't know that.

Fingers crossed that will do it..

So logical it's scary.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It worked !

Brilliant 20 minutes and all the vibration gone. I am religious about new pads and couldn't believe it was the rotors.

Thanks for the tip ......

Never fails this site is awesome for RC questions. Now I'll go out and put the next 60k miles on it.

Sorry I didn't get the name of the person that suggested cleaning the buttons.

Drinks are on me if our paths cross.

Thanks again.

p.s. I used this forum when i replaced all the exhaust gaskets with oem bits.
Suggestions about access of difficult bolts was great.

Any recommendations about doing the valves myself ? I have done Duc 2 valve checks. Easy imho. Not sure about the RC Cams must be removed ?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Cams only need removing if clearances are out of spec. It's pretty straight forward, but probably should check the shop manual. I used it and the whole process was pretty painless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valves

Thanks I'll read up on it. I have the shop manual.

Just curious if its the values that can cause a pop sometimes under engine breaking on a downhill ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brilliant 20 minutes and all the vibration gone. I am religious about new pads and couldn't believe it was the rotors.

Thanks for the tip ......

Never fails this site is awesome for RC questions. Now I'll go out and put the next 60k miles on it.

Sorry I didn't get the name of the person that suggested cleaning the buttons.

Drinks are on me if our paths cross.

Thanks again.

p.s. I used this forum when i replaced all the exhaust gaskets with oem bits.
Suggestions about access of difficult bolts was great.

Any recommendations about doing the valves myself ? I have done Duc 2 valve checks. Easy imho. Not sure about the RC Cams must be removed ?
No prob! Glad it worked for ya; love that it saved ya some money. I'm Travis, and I'll graciously accept a beer if our paths do cross :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts