RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb questions, but I only changed the sprockets and chain once, several years ago and I can't find any info on it in the manual.

Do I need to bleed the clutch and remove the slave cylinder to replace the front sprocket? I'm 99% sure that's how it's done, but want to know for sure before starting. Are there any instructions for th front sprocket change in the manual? If so, what page?

Thnx

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
There's one short bolt on the left cover that doesn't have to be removed (arrow).
The other 4 are long bolts that hold the cover in place.
Unfortunately, since only one bolt is securing the slave cylinder to the cover, there is a likelihood that air can enter into the system.
So yes, I'd prepare to bleed the system after sprocket replacement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I thought I might have to bleed/drain it first to keep the brake fluid from pouring out when I removed the slave. I'll just pull it off and bleed it after putting it back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just did this - all I did was ziptie the clutch lever overnight. Back to normal in the morning.
I was shocked it got so spongy from just removing the thing, not opening up the lines.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question - changing to 15/41 sprockets, how many links should be in the chain? Or is there an easy way to know how long it should be with the new sprockets?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was able to get the rear tire back on, albeit very tightly with NO slack, and went and set the chain slack after.
Looser is better than tighter, I set mine to 1.5"
Don't need to change the chain links.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply. I had a new chain, and I needed to cut off about half dozen extra links. but figured it out and I'm all set. Now if it would just stop snowing...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Just curious, where is you're chain adjuster set now? Near the front of the gauge or near the rear? What is your wheelbase now in relation to where it was before your sprocket and chain mod?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup, very very small change, for mine at least.
I need to get a speedometer corrector because the speed is way off, and being up in NY I only had 1 chance to go out and ride with the new setup for a little bit.

But still, my thoughts on the conversion?
Almost scary how much harder it accelerates. It felt like a different bike at first, I've ridden I4 liter bikes, like the S1000, and I've ridden an 1198, all alongside the RC, and while it doesn't match up to them overall, it's much closer in street-use acceleration now.
It also behaves a lot better around town now, like in 1st. You can actually conduct a slow speed maneuver in 1st gear.
I'm considering going back to 40 in the rear though. I'll know more when the weather improves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts