RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
trying to connect some aftermarket front turn signals to this bike of mine. they are just black and yellow wire. however on the wire harness it has a single wire (green) ground and two wire which are turn signal and running light. I have the diagram that I saw on here however how should I connect these wire if I don't want a running light?

·
Registered
238 Posts
ground to ground and turn signal to positive, just tape off the running light wire. i chased my running light wires back to the first connector and removed them, then retaped my harness from the connector to the breakouts.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I think the solid orange and solid blue are for blink. And the orange/white and blue/white are the running lights. It'll be easy enough to test with your new signal light. Orange is left, blue is right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ground to ground and turn signal to positive, just tape off the running light wire. i chased my running light wires back to the first connector and removed them, then retaped my harness from the connector to the breakouts.
leave the negative wire to the turn signal alone? I tried both ways and nothing happens. where is my turn signal relay? it doesn't even blink or come on

thanks for the help so far

·
Registered
238 Posts
youll have 3 wires on each side. green for ground, solid orange/light blue for blinker, and silver dotted orange/light blue for the running lights. you can essentially use all 3 wires if you have a 2 pole bulb by grounding the green wire to the housing if the bulb holder and connecting the solid wire to one pole and the dotted wire to the other pole, that way you can run 2 illuminations at the same time if you needed to sharing the same ground. with your bulb/light you only have a +/- so youd use green to - and you could either choose to run a constant on + with the dotted wire or have a normally open connection to the + with the solid wire so your relay can push power through that wire when you use the control switch. it has to work, the only thing id say is make sure to check your fuse box in the left fairing by the coolant overflow to make sure you didnt short a fuse and blow it. also, check to make sure you have + and - correct on the bulb side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can essentially use all 3 wires if you have a 2 pole bulb by grounding the green wire to the housing if the bulb holder and connecting the solid wire to one pole and the dotted wire to the other pole, that way you can run 2 illuminations at the same time if you needed to sharing the same ground. with your bulb/light you only have a +/- so youd use green to - and you could either choose to run a constant on + with the dotted wire or have a normally open connection to the + with the solid wire so your relay can push power through that wire when you use the control switch. it has to work, the only thing id say is make sure to check your fuse box in the left fairing by the coolant overflow to make sure you didnt short a fuse and blow it. also, check to make sure you have + and - correct on the bulb side.
thats a lot of info to decipher lol. ill read it again tomorrow with a fresher head. I just want my blinkers to work, thats all. ill double check the fuse box. what did you mean on the last part by "make sure you have the + and - correct on the bulb side"?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with your bulb/light you only have a +/- so youd use green to - and you could either choose to run a constant on + with the dotted wire or have a normally open connection to the + with the solid wire so your relay can push power through that wire when you use the control switch. .

so I just tried one of your ways. I connected the negative bulb wire to green wire and solid turn signal wire to positive wire and the dotted wire. if I did that both front and rear turn lights lit up. turn signal does not blink. if I used it, it just turned off.
relay out? where is that?

·
Registered
238 Posts
you dont use both the solid wire and the dotted wire.............. pretend like the dotted wires dont even exist, youre omitting them anyways. green to black, yellow to solid blue or orange depending on what side you are doing. you still havent told me if you checked the fuse for the blinkers yet. if all of your lights are turning on then you have the running light wire connected and if you used both the solid wire and the dotted you probably blew the fuse for the blinkers. check that first, doubt the relay is bad but it could be. not sure how much more i can help you at this point as the info im giving you is pretty cut and dry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you dont use both the solid wire and the dotted wire.............. pretend like the dotted wires dont even exist, youre omitting them anyways. green to black, yellow to solid blue or orange depending on what side you are doing. .
yeah I did that at the start and nothing happens. light does not come on. does not blink. nothing. yes fuses are fine. whats next? relay? where is that :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
The relay is under the back seat. If you are using Led lights you will need to change that....i havent had time to fix my shit yet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The relay is under the back seat. If you are using Led lights you will need to change that....i havent had time to fix my shit yet
anyone got a pic of what this looks like? I have the hotbodies undertail so LED on the rear. I need to change it to what?

·
Registered
238 Posts
you dont have to change the relay to use led, if you use a different relay for use with led all it does is correct the blink rate. yes, the relay is under the rear seat cowl in the tail section. you can get a replacement from the dealer or go on the web and get it from revzilla or babbits. i think ebay sells led relays. i cannot say for sure if the relay is bad but if youre getting no voltage to the bulbs on both sides and the fuse is fine that may be the culprit. are the rear blinkers working? if they are your relay is most likely fine. could be wiring as well but theres no way of telling without testing it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you dont have to change the relay to use led, if you use a different relay for use with led all it does is correct the blink rate. yes, the relay is under the rear seat cowl in the tail section. you can get a replacement from the dealer or go on the web and get it from revzilla or babbits. i think ebay sells led relays. i cannot say for sure if the relay is bad but if youre getting no voltage to the bulbs on both sides and the fuse is fine that may be the culprit. are the rear blinkers working? if they are your relay is most likely fine. could be wiring as well but theres no way of telling without testing it.
yeah nothing blinks, not even the rear.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Sounds like when mine failed. I have proton leds front and oem rear bulbs. The relay failed, nothing worked. Went to Cycle Gear, got a replacement relay that was LED compatible, (Hell i think they all are now) and plugged it in. Problem solved. Cost about $20.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Here's a photo of the relay on my 06. I used a LED compliant relay from TST that allows the use of the OEM rubber mounting to attach it in the original location. Works like a charm. I also made 2 jumper harnesses for the front signals that allow my front 2 wire LED signals to function as turn signal and running lights like OEM. A few connectors, diodes and presto...

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have to give kudos to those helping. It's all been discussed before here on the forum including how to test the various pieces and permutations. For more information I recommend the OP use the search option and read up. Lots more info there. It's worth it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do report back....i am having the same issue Led in the front and back....changed all the fuses led relay and nothing......rebuilt the switch nothing....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts