RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, would anyone know where the fuel level sensor is located? I'm thinking on the fuel pump assembly but can not find a part number for it. I'm guessing I damaged it when I reinstalled the pump after having the tank hinge repaired to stop a fuel leak. The dash light still comes on when the ignition is turned on but that's it. Didn't know sensor wasn't working till I ran out of fuel on a ride.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
All the service manual says is, if the low fuel level check doesn't pass, replace the entire fuel pump assembly.
And that bad boy is around $400.
Best to find a good one on eBay or a web site that sells used parts.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I bet it's just a shorted or chaffed wire. Have you taken it back out yet? Sounds like you experienced how tricky it can be to maneuver the pump assembly back into the tank. :D
I have a complete working spare fuel pump assembly, not for sale, but if you need pictures for comparison or something.
I'd get a new gasket too. I think I only paid about $10-12.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
The fuel level sensor is the marked one in the picture.
It is a variable resistance sensor that changes it's resistance value when it is submerged into fuel.
Unfortunately Honda doesn't sell it as a separate part so you'll have to go with SubSailor's suggestion on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Here's some more pics.

That striped wire is the one that carries the signal, it ends up at the center of the 3P connector. Make sure you have good contact at the connector, and inspect the wire.
Seems like you could swap in a used sensor - if you could find one, that is...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody, the pictures are a big help. I haven't removed the pump since the repair. Definitely a tight fit! Remember pushing on something and it moving when I reinstalled the pump! Maybe I'll try over the winter, I do have a new fuel filter I could install, almost 41,000 miles on this one. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be an easy fix, if not I'll have to keep watching the miles between fill ups or I find another at a good price. Thanks again everyone.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts