RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm not a mechanical genius. LOL. My fuel pump is not . My bike was running around October of 2019, now it's March and I'm prepping ti ride again for 2020 and I'm having this problem. I've owned this bike since 2005 and have never had any problems out of it. Pure delight and I guess some luck . I hear the relays click underneath the seat, I have a brand new battery and I have a charger. Just trying to figure out what may be going on should I just change the fuel pump out or look at other options that I've been reading in blogs all over the internet. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
With the key on and the kill switch set to run, unplug the fuel pump relay (it has two black/whites, a brown, and a brown/black on it), and jump the larger gauge black/white to the solid brown.

The fuel pump should run. If it does try swapping in the high beam relay in place of the fuel pump relay. If that doesn't work try connecting the brown/black to battery negative with a jumper wire and the relay installed. If this causes the pump to run then check the connection of the brown/black at the ecu.

If the fuel pump doesn't run, check connections at the 3 pin black fuel pump connector and also at the pump itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so tried all that..nothing. Without having a multimeter I believe fuel pump may have died. Its the original from 2003. Buying a multimeter to trace power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update....replaced fuel pump & it prime now. But once I put bike back together it ran like crap. Sputtered, will not idle properly, and spit fuel everywhere. Did more digging and research found out I needed a fuel pressure regulator. Ordered the part put it on and now my bike works perfect again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts