RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 RC and it has 54.000 miles and when I went to start the bike it the pump did not prime , so I played with the switch back and forth like 5 times and it finally primed ! Do you think I need a new pump ? or could it be another problem ! Thank you ....

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
There are a few things it could including a faulty pump.

Short in the kick stand switch, intermittent faulty fuel pump relay, loose ground etc...

I would start with looking for loose connections and ground. (Battery and the main frame ground on the right side of the bike under the rear cowl.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My high beam works fine and yesterday I went to start the bike and had 2 play with the switch 20 or 30 times to get the pump to start the priming! I was going to order a new switch just in case ! Any other ideas would be great . I Received my fuel pump and fuel filter on Thursday but before I want to go thru and see if it could be anything else !

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
KISS. Clean the switch with contact cleaner, work your way from the switch to the pump. Clean/grease connectors as you go. Jumper the fuel pump relay to see if you get a consistent prime (refer to a schematic---if you do this incorrectly, bad shit can happen).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also, check the 30A FI fuse for continuity. If you have a spare, swap it in. A fuse that's cracked can cause some wacky shit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What jondog was trying to say was try a good known relay in your fuel pump circuit to see if the relay for the fuel pump was going bad.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Also check the 3 wire connector from the fuel pump on the left subframe. I just put my bike back together enough to get started and I couldn't get the pump to prime to save my life. Pulled the connector apart and pushed it back together several times then I heard it prime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts