RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a question I couldn't find an answer to by searching that I was hoping to get some advice on.

I am in the middle of trying to sell my '05 and this morning when I tried to start it up to ride it to work the furl pump won't pressurize! Classic! Just what you want when trying to sell a bike! :mad: Anyway, I had the fairings off last week to change the oil and I am going to check all of the connections to the pump and battery this weekend. Is there aything else I should look at? Are the pumps themselves prone to going out? I know the pump is in the tank, do the wires going to it just come out of the bottom of the tank or are they off to one side or another (ie, what is the easiest way to get to them?)?

Any advice is really appreciated! Also, if anyone wants to buy an immaculate '05 with a recently sorted fuel pump issue please let me know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just in case someone else happens to have this problem and searches and finds this thread, I thought I'd tell about the conclusion. It ended up being dirty contacts on the kill switch. It was in intermittent problem and therefore hard to diagnose. To show it was the kill switch I turned the ignition on during a period when the bike was broken and the pump wasn't cycling. I switched the kill switch on and off quickly a few times which caused the fuel pump to turn on. I took the switch apart and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and it has been fine since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very 1st Post

I had the same problem. So, I came to this forum. After hours of work I got it all back together and-nothing. The clock wound twice, which I had never seen it do, and the fuel pump didn't prime. Then it would crank but not start. I started it twice earlier to bleed the cooling system so I was stumped and bummed. Evidently I pushed the kill switch putting on all the body work. Thanks for the info/help.
Kevin

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Damn kill switch, same problem happened here................used to cut off and on for me bout 10k miles ago.....glad you figured it out............if you would like to donate that bike to the Erbgottie Donation Foundation all items are appreciated :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Donations

Damn kill switch is right. I hit it riding one time and spent 20 minutes figuring that out. I still don't know how I hit it. You'd think I would have learned from that one.

I think I'll keep it for a while but thanks for the opportunity:D

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Wow... odd that the kill switch would be that dirty, but it happens. Thanks for the resolution.
Thats not the first one I have heard of...One case had the pad on the small pc board burt off:eek:

That mechanic was pissed and relieved at the same time as he had ran out of time "according to the book" and was finishing it pro bono.

I am glad the conclusion was posted.

You have any key chains made up yet there Mr. Parts Guy??? One of those would be right tasty and great advertisement!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts