RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rc is stinking up my garage. I can smell gas around the fuel cap. I don't think there's a gasket under there. Culprit?

·
Registered
753 Posts
You got a OEM tank latch / thingymebob? my mind draws a blank on the actual name... sheesh.

If so I couldn't find just the seal, I was going to have to buy the whole thing.

I actually get the pricing from HondaEastToledo and then get my dealer to price match ;) saves on shipping.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I noticed gas running down my kickstand and a little wetness near the rear of the tank, so I'm having a guy weld the rear bracket better and bought a new gasket for the fuel pump

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Welding a tank is a brave move...
He'd best wear a good helmet... or his eyebrows & hair may get blown off. :D

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I had my tank welded too. It worked perfectly after. My radiator guy use my fuel cap and my old frozen pump assembly to seal off the tank, then he pressure tested it to about 15 psi. I watched as it held steady. So it can definitely be done.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
It's been drained completely and flushed with water
I did that once... actually filling the tank with water before attempting to weld.
Residual fuel vapor still ignited. Hence my comment. ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been drained completely and flushed with water
I did that once... actually filling the tank with water before attempting to weld.
Residual fuel vapor still ignited. Hence my comment. ;)
got a nice little fireball anyways :D

there was a pretty good trickle coming out near the rear bracket. good job honda!! got it welded up and some new fuel hose washers and a new fuel pump gasket for good measure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Other trick i have used in the past drain fuel and run a hose off of a running car exhaust into tank being welded carbon monoxide gas prevents gas fumes from igniting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I thought so the first time i did it to. But i have since did it a few times since. Learnt it from a old welder buddy i knew that built pig roasters out of old oil tanks and he had tons of hair so took his word it would work. Smaller hose so fumes can get out of the tank through the filler and worked like a charm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts