RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I got screwed with the gastank pivot leak. I just bought the bike and it came with two sets of plastics. After putting back on the stock plastics and tank I noticed the leak. Does anyone know of a fix that works? I heard there is a fix on the RC51org board but couldnt find it. Any info would be appreciated. I really dont want to coat the whole inside of the tank too, so Im hoping it can be fixed from the exterior.

I just had a great friggin ride too, and the bike was running great, Damn!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the exact same problem.

I ended up using a sealer that was fuel safe. I think it was called goop-all or something. Some people suggested JB weld but the gas will eat it away.

What i did is drained the tank...took it off. took the fuel pump out. got a file in there and roughed up the area. then applied two coats of this stuff and let it dry completely.

I found that most shops wouldn't reweld a gas tank and the ones that would were booked up to a months wait. I have been riding with this fix for about a year and not one sign of a leak again.

However if you don't like that...appearently the sp2 tanks were less prone to the leaking problem. however they average 500 bucks for one in good shape.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
had that problem on my '03, dried tank out and took it off.................re-welded the bad spot and put some stuff called waterweld on the area as well...........hasn't leaked since

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys......well I took off the tank and its airing out the remaining fumes in it. I showed my buddy who does custom welding and he said he could TIG weld the whole bracket so its a consistent weld seam all the way around it. I think that should do the trick. I was going to try JB weld but have heard varying results and dont want to worry about it leaking again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 03 SP2 has the same leak. I'm drying it as we speak and am going to tig it in a few days. Mine also came to me with the JB Weld fix. That lasted three days...
But welding it is the real solution. I'm also going to weld in a plate in between the ears on the mount to reinforce the material there. That ought to stop it from leaking...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got it back from my buddy and when I tested it with a little gas it was leaking from the top part now. Ahhhhh!!! I had him tig it all the way around but hes gotta go over it again. Thats a good idea about the plate. I may have to just do the damn por thing if the 2nd attempt doesnt work. When you do the por sealer treatment can you just seal that bottom area or do you have to seal the whole tank so it doesnt start chipping from the periphery?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You would need to POR the entire tank. But be very carefull not to plug the vent tube. If you do the fuel will siphon out and leak all over the ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fuel Tank Woes

I had the weld done by a guy who does a lot of motorcycle gas tank work. Unfortunately, I still have a leak. Pretty difficult to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from now, but definitely wet along the newly welded area. The quality of the weld looks pretty good. I am surprised how stubborn this leak is. I guess I am going to figure a way to pressure test it, throw a little soapy water on it and see exactly where the bubbles are coming from.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
sealing it from the inside works great
. I used some stuff off ebay called kreem i think

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same prob on my 01, I called Honda tech line, they said to bring it in to Honda dealer and have them take pics and call the teck line, well, I did that and the dealer called my an hour later telling me that Honda wont cover it. Then he asks, should we put the tank back on for you, or leave it off for you to come pick it up? Im Suprised Corporate Honda will send back to a customer a known leaking gas tank. This is not just a drip here and there(although it started out that way ) Its dripping often now and I cant ride it anymore fearing a fire. I tried to fix with Kreem coating a few months ago, I thought I did a good job, fixed the leak for 2 weeks, then drips again. This is BS, Honda should replace a serious safety hazard like this!! Hope it don't blow up on me, I will have to bring a lawsuit against my dealer and Corporate. (If I live )

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, heres what happened with my tank. Gave to buddy to Tig weld it and it was leaking now from another spot after the welding. It cleared up the first problem area but when he welded all the way around the mount I guess it opened up another area a bit. Gave it back to him and he said he just couldnt seal up that area. It kept leaking. Anyway, its sitting in the garage awaiting POR15 tank coating that I am going to seal with this weekend. It just got to my house today. The inside of the tank is real clean so Im just gonna slosh that crap around in there and wait for it to dry 3-5 days.

Thank god I have a track day tank that I have been riding with for the last 2 months. What a friggin mess!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a friend TIG around the bracket, That was about two years ago. Before I had it welded I tried several gas tank stop leaks but they didn't last. Weld it or replace the tank, good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealer called me back this morning and said, Honda decided to replace it after all !! I pick it up Tuesday !! Thanks HONDA !!! Persistence pays off. I had 2 other service managers at other dealers try this, and no luck. So, 3 phone calls to Honda tech line, and taking it to the best Honda dealer around ( Western Honda in Scottsdale, AZ) I was able to finally get them to replace my tank. And rightfully so, this is a huge hazard that could have been disastrous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts