RC51 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently have just put my RC 51 back together. i had it repainted because of the previous owner having a bogus paint job. i have put about 250 miles on so far and at first i was not impressed. but i have ben out of the super bike world for a couple of years and my last one was a gsxr. i was expecting to have a wheely machine but did not have that. riding it more and more i have respected it power and learned there is not much comparable to these v twin bikes. i think my bike is geared to high. it has to be revved high so it does not lug at low rpm's. wheelies only in first gear all though wheelies are not my main concern. i would like to gear this bike so its a rocket out of the corners and a torque monster at low end i don't need to go 170 mph by any means. i would appreciate any suggestions to help along with this new bike of wonderfulness.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Just do a search for sprocket and you will get tons of response of people's idea of the best ratio. Currently I have the stock 16/40. I am putting 15/41 on. I have heard the will really wake the bike up (as if it is asleep now).

·
Registered
139 Posts
typically gearing changes would be 15/41 or 15/42. for the street id say 15/41 would be really good. thats what i changed mine to, although i use mine on the track only and sort of wish i went 15/42... but its still a big improvement over stock.. and definitely go with a 520 chain and sprockets. reach out for [email protected] and let him know i sent you.. he will beat any online price for chains and sprockets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unno what gearing combo my RC came with but it has no top end at all and the speedo is off by a good 15+ across the board. 130 or so top speed and real jerky i would prefer a bit less aggression for street use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
idk how they are stock i just got mine and it has 1 down in the front and up two in the rear seems good but the speedos off i want to get a healer cause i dont mind the way it is now

but i have never rode a rc51 until i just got mine lol first street bike i love it the bike is tame and has alot of get up and go all at the same time

but with being new to street and street bikes i would have thought this bike would have been alot crazzyer lol but i only rode it like 60 miles home so idk yet lol

we will see

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went +2 in the rear and -1 up front and it's definably quicker out the gate. Although I have done wheelies on it, I prefer to do those on my R1 due to the fact that the front end is so much lighter; RC51's seem to carry a ton of weight up front.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went +2 in the rear and -1 up front and it's definably quicker out the gate. Although I have done wheelies on it, I prefer to do those on my R1 due to the fact that the front end is so much lighter; RC51's seem to carry a ton of weight up front.
i just got my bike on like monday i have only been able to ride it home when i got it like 60 miles it was kool i thought it was pretty tame for the most part but if you rape it she comes to life lol

but i have that 1 down 2 up gearing and my mph is off

is the speedo healer just plug and play .... and it fixes it self or what dose anybody know?

i really need to get one asap

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
They're not difficult to install at all.
Go to speedohealer.com and look at some of online guides.
They have a new unit that differs from the older one in setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
clearance with 15/41 & 180/55/17

I thought I saw a thread about changing the gearing & being careful with rear tire selections. Will I be ok with 15/41 gearing & 180/55/17 rear tire? What length of chain will I need?

DaveT

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I thought I saw a thread about changing the gearing & being careful with rear tire selections. Will I be ok with 15/41 gearing & 180/55/17 rear tire? What length of chain will I need?

DaveT

Why a 180? Wouldn't you get a similar angle with a 190/55 but also keep the footprint? The bike came stock with 190/50.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My friend has 15/42. His bike is mainly track, but thinks he should of went bigger out back. And I just picked up a track only bike, thinking of going 15/44. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
My friend has 15/42. His bike is mainly track, but thinks he should of went bigger out back. And I just picked up a track only bike, thinking of going 15/44. Opinions?
It depends on the track.
Ordinarily you gear a track bike to where it may just kiss the rev limiter in top gear at the end of the fastest straight.

On MotoGP bikes, the transmission is a cassette type where the entire tranny slides out so they can change the internal gear ratios for each track as well as the final ratio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts