RC51 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding the other day and was in 3rd gear at around 6k rpms, bike downshifted on its own, I shifted back up thru 4th, it downshifted again. It even went to neutral one time from 3rd or 4th gear. Has anyone experienced this before or know what the issue might be? I changed the oil, but that didn't help.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
First place I would look would be the shift drum cam follower. It's the spring loaded arm with a roller follower that indexes the gear positions on the cam at the right end of the shift drum. Factory Pro makes a roller bearing version with a very stiff spring if the option to replace comes up. Beyond that I would say you would be splitting the cases to look at the trans and shift drum and shift drum forks. You sure you don't have the optional automatic transmission in your bike?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
It may be possible the shift drum detent arm may have an issue.
If you put the bike on a stand, when you shift gears manually, do you feel a positive gear selection? If not, then there may be a problem with the roller or spring on the detent arm.

If it feels like a solid positive gear change selection, then it may be the dogs or slots for 3rd gear are worn and slipping out of engagement, or a bent shift arm not allowing full engagement.

Worn dogs/slots or bent shift arms are fairly common on bikes that have seen a lot of "no-clutch" bang shifts.
Worn 2nd gear issues are fairly common on GSXRs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts