RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few ideas on what to do to my rc51.

already has:
scorpion exhaust
steering damper
undertail
smoke windescreen
flush mount signal lights

ideas i have:
change gearing - to what?
oury hand grips
buell lower pegs

what about:
bar end weights - do the rc51 bars vibrate?

maintenance:
change fluids, brake, coolant, clutch(?), any other fluids?

anything else for me to look at?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well when I bought my bike. I took all the fluids out and put all new back in. (that way I knew it was good.) Looked at the old oil to see if it had metal in it. Changed plugs, cleaned throttle bodies, cleaned and adjusted chain. I wanted the bike to be as close to new as I could get it when I got it home. Took all the plastic off and cleaned the motor, frame, rear shock. As you may tell, I like to keep my bike clean. :)

For "Mods":
The Flapper Valve.
The P.A.I.R Removal (the whole thing)
Had the stock rear fender. Trimmed it up so it wouldnt look so bad. (it is UGLY)

Future Mods are:
Euro front turn sig. (up in the headlight)
Fender Elem.
Chain/Sprocket Set
And those carbon radiator ducting assys
Oh and the most Important mod. lighten up the bike.

·
Registered
863 Posts
15/42 is better and whats the deal with buell pegs? I've never heard of this(which doesn't mean alot) neither has any of my more knowledgable 51 people.

·
Banned
402 Posts
1. drop a tooth from the front, even if you leave the rear
2. get a PC, a must even stock
3. get the front forks reworked at least
4. get a aftermarket shock
5. get pipes
6. get wheels

·
Banned
402 Posts
your point is?

i won't ride a rc51 without at least PC, 1 missing tooth, exhaust and reworked forks, the OEM bike is horrible the fueling is like a crystal meth addict drinking coffee

·
Registered
863 Posts
They'll never be as smooth as an i4 atleast at low speeds anyways but with the right parts they can definately be made to feel better

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I've never yet owned a big twin that liked low RPM operation.
The intake pulsing at low RPMs can cause flow disturbances that cause the engine to hiccup.
Especially if the engine is stock and is running leaner due to EPA regs.
A power commander can correct that and allow it run better.
I know that while my RC51 can chug at 3000 RPM, I know it doesn't like me much when I do and would prefer at least 3500 to 4000 RPM to be happy.

Unfortunately, traffic absolutely crawls with all the snow-geezers here in FL.
Come May, the heat will drive them back up north and I might be able to travel from point A to point B in my lifetime, until November when they return.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wheels are not a consideration. pc, i'll see how the bike rides when the snow is gone. slip ons are done, scorpions. suspension is not that important to me. drop a tooth is about 99% certain.

comfort mods?

the buell pegs are on my superhawk. they drop the peg height about an inch. they make an improvement. when i get a chance i will look to see if they'd work on the rc51. they are cheap too, 20 or 30 dollars.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did some tinkering and began getting familiar with my rc51. cleaned chain, polished this and that, etc...

when done i took it out. only went down the street on account of all the snow and 0*c temp. i had to fight the bars to steer the thing. it's totally different than my gixxer or vtr. i have to keep in mind: i haven't ridden in months, the front tire is toast, no steering damper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2000 SP-1 so far:
Go:
PCIII with good map
CF Jardine hi-mount slipons (wish they were Ti)
'Free' mods
16/42 gearing
Scott's damper
Suspension tweaks at both ends
Vortex clipons
Harris rearsets (usually adjusted back and down for more legroom)
SP-2 rims and brakes
Galfer lines

Show:
Eurobikes undertail
Hugger
Smoke windscreen

and some other little things...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i got the brake and clutch fuids changed. put a better tire on the front and inflated it properly. installed the steering damper. changed the oil and filter. took bike down the street again and it was much better behaved. i'm happy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
yeah that guy (MRGRN) is awful hard the rc isnt he! i think in stock trim it is still an amazing bike. even if it is geared in the sky! i would recommend ak exhaust and a power commander and filter though! AN 1 DOWN IN THE FRONT.....AT LEAST!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts