RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has replaced there stock plank of a seat with an aftermarket seat? What did you get and do you like it? I am looking at the Corbin. I put one on my ZX and loved the change. I've heard mixed reviews though.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I heard the corbins are real good. What I did was just buy a new oem seat and the difference was night and day for me. Just haven't brought myself to spend that much on a seat yet. If the pain gets to bad then maybe.

·
Registered
389 Posts
if you are the do it yourself type try this site. i did and i found it to be a nice project.
www.diymotorcycleseat.com

keep an eye out for a used corbin. it took me months but i finally got one for $100 and it is worth it. i got my diy seat done then found the corbin a week later!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I ordered a custom Sargent a month ago (they are 4 weeks out) and it arrives tomorrow. I'll post up my impressions. I ordered the World Sport Performance seat with their Super Cell Atomic Foam and a Daytona Leather seating insert.

I had a Corbin on my FZ1S and it was nice.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping I could get a seat sooner than two weeks. That is what Corbin say it will take to make one. So with that being said, I might try the DIY way. I have a spare seat. Now to find the materials.

·
Registered
389 Posts
waldo,
you can carefully pull off the cover and foam in one piece. this way they are intact so you can put the seat back together if the diy seat desn't work out.

the corbin is better than my diy seat. i did learn a lot and i bet i could make a better 2nd seat.

some of my mistakes:
too dished out
foam is too hard
leather i used is too "sticky". i like to be able to slide around on the seat.
almost took my finger off with grinder. yikes!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got my Sargent seat on and man, what a difference! First of all, it grips better than the stock vinyl. It's also more comfortable and the padding does not compress all the way and bottom out like the stock foam. It is more comfortable on long rides. The quality is top notch, too. I recommend them!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks, I just reg on that site but have to wait to be approved. It looks like someone else has first dibs though.
I've been waiting like 3 weeks! After the first week, I was sending daily PM's and also using the "contact us" link. No replies. :confused:
I just want to see the attached pics dammit!! lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
ive got a sargent on mine aswell and find it great! the corbin is nice too, but feels a little wide on the RC. both seats are overpriced in australia and set you back around $650 aussie dollers!.....thats my 2 cents worth or 2 and a half once you convert it..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh yah dude, Australia expensive for motorcycle parts & accessories..

·
Registered
27 Posts
i liked the stock seat too! then i sat on a sargent,but iam old and have no padding on my ass!

·
Registered
2 Posts
corbin isnt all its cracked up to be. i have one on my 02 and am now trying to sell it to buy another stock one. theyre not that comfortable. all theyre good for is good looking covering which i coulda recovered for a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got fed up with my stock seat. Found a used Corbin, should arrive today actually. I'll post up my thoughts on it asap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMHO - Sargent's are better if you are lighter and Corbin's are better if you are over 210 or so...

corbin isnt all its cracked up to be. i have one on my 02 and am now trying to sell it to buy another stock one. theyre not that comfortable. all theyre good for is good looking covering which i coulda recovered for a lot cheaper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts