RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, trying to add GIPro gear indicator to the recently purchased RC51. Installation seemed to be straight forward except there's a slight problem, of course. The instructions call to cut into the tachometer signal line connected to the ECU. Per instructions the tach wire in the wire harness connected to the ECU should be "solid yellow with green stripe". All fine and well, except one nuance: there's no yellow w/ green stripe wire. Any ideas what the wire (tachometer signal) is? Its 2004 (SP2), if that makes any difference?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
OK, trying to add GIPro gear indicator to the recently purchased RC51. Installation seemed to be straight forward except there's a slight problem, of course. The instructions call to cut into the tachometer signal line connected to the ECU. Per instructions the tach wire in the wire harness connected to the ECU should be "solid yellow with green stripe". All fine and well, except one nuance: there's no yellow w/ green stripe wire. Any ideas what the wire (tachometer signal) is? Its 2004 (SP2), if that makes any difference?

Thanks.
ECU connector A (black), pin A21.
If you're looking down at the connector, locate the row of pins near the release.
Then follow the pins to the left until you get to the next to the last pin.
That should be A21 and it should be Y/G.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, found it. I should change my nick to "dumb-dumb" or something: the wire was right in front of my eyes. The LED flashlight (not enough lighting in my garage) actually made it look like yellow with blue stripe!
SubSalor, I dug up wiring diagram and the tach wire, indeed, is exactly were you said it should be! Thanks, buddy, and sorry for the confusion.

All installed and working beautifully now. Next step: speedohealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
^^^Please???^^^

I have said since I got this bike that I can't stand not knowing what gear I'm in and all my buddies mention that they either can keep track of it or "don't care because they just ride" and when they come to a stop they just down shift until they can't downshift any more. I want this but also want to know how this turned out for you...

Or for that matter maybe someone else has an indicator and wants to chime in please??

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
nice, looks good

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did the bracket come with it or did you fab it?
The bracket is just a piece of 1mm alloy, bent to fit over the speedo and painted black. Have a look on the back of the speedo, and there little screws holding it together; i just used a longer screw to mount it to the speedo. The lead is zip tied to the bracket.

It would have to be one of the better mods; you see what gear you are in before you see the tach or speedo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts