RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm outta here for a few...the woman wants to learn to catch the legendary Kamloops rainbow trout. Pound for pound the best fight you will have on any fishing line.

It's been years since I broke out the fly rod...got the deluxe cabin 4 days in the water, I day watching my son play some footrball (he lives close to where we will be staying), then when I get back home off for a couple days on the bike for a small road trip.:D

Back in a bit...woohoo!

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Love trout fishing myself. Grew up fishing streams and rivers in Montana and Utah. Sure do miss it...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
If you haven't caught a stingray ... they seem to be able to suck themselves to the bottom. 20 years ago we rented a houseboat for a week in the Keys, and a girl on board fought a stingray for hours one stormy night. Like some crazy novel. I dunno why she was so intent on fighting that thing. She could almost never reel any line in, and it seemed to only maybe be moving one way or the other ever so slightly; so slowly that we weren't sure if it was moving, or maybe it was just the boat turning very slowly. There was never any extra yank or jerk on the line like with a normal fish; just a constant, incredibly strong pull. Most of us thought the hook was caught on the bottom and went inside to get out of the storm. She was obviously convinced it was a creature. We'd check on her every once in a while, and it seemed like maybe she was reeling something in, but I dunno; I thought maybe she was overcoming the anchor(!) and slowly pulling the boat toward where the hook was caught on something. But ... after about a 3-hour fight, she started screaming ... She finally had it very close to the boat and had seen a glimpse of a shadow of whatever it was (which we didn't know at the time). We had a flashlight, and she finally actually brought the thing all the way up to the boat, just enough for us to see this ray with a wing span of about 6 feet! I would've assumed it was tired as hell, and it probably was, but right at the moment when the flashlight hit his eyes, he made a little twitch and a splash and snapped the line and swam away ...

We called her The Old Hag And The Sea after that! ... even though she was only about 20.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Love trout fishing myself. Grew up fishing streams and rivers in Montana and Utah. Sure do miss it...
Yea, same here, grew up in Pennsylvania fishing mostly trout, occasional trip to upstate new york for salmon, now being in the Midwest, largemouth is the bees knees. Mostly ponds in neighborhoods or farms, most fun you'll ever have! Most I've caught consecutively is 19! Cast after cast...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
When I was a young teenager, I used to fish for rainbow trout in the UK. Was fun!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
You must post pictures of the booty :eek: er bounty :D

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Used to work for a company where the owner was an avid sports fisherman.
Each year, he would rent four boats in Boca Grande along with several rooms at a nearby motel.

Then he would divide the company into 3rds and send each third down to fish for a couple of days during tarpon season.

Tarpon are not little fish, and we used 85 lb. test braided line.
I remember when I caught my first tarpon. It felt like I hooked a greyhound bus.
Felt like my arms were going to get pulled out of socket.

Since we weren't allowed to keep the fish, we could only reel them close enough for an estimate of size.
There is a rule of thumb they use to estimate weight, and they calculated my fish weighted about 145 lbs.

Unfortunately, the following years had so many sharks in the area (hammerhead and bull sharks), that any fish caught were ate almost instantly (amazing how fast a shark will consume a 140+ lb. fish).

·
Registered
897 Posts
Used to work for a company where the owner was an avid sports fisherman.
Each year, he would rent four boats in Boca Grande along with several rooms at a nearby motel.

Then he would divide the company into 3rds and send each third down to fish for a couple of days during tarpon season.

Tarpon are not little fish, and we used 85 lb. test braided line.
I remember when I caught my first tarpon. It felt like I hooked a greyhound bus.
Felt like my arms were going to get pulled out of socket.

Since we weren't allowed to keep the fish, we could only reel them close enough for an estimate of size.
There is a rule of thumb they use to estimate weight, and they calculated my fish weighted about 145 lbs.

Unfortunately, the following years had so many sharks in the area (hammerhead and bull sharks), that any fish caught were ate almost instantly (amazing how fast a shark will consume a 140+ lb. fish).
Thats awesome, I have done a little bit of saltwater fishing, not too much, but really a ton of fun. Everything is just bigger and fights twice as hard as freshwater! Recently on a trip to Gulf Shores, Al we had a place right on a lagoon, with a private dock, so I fished every morning, caught mostly catfish and croakers, caught one stingray, about the size of a big dinner plate, felt like an absolute monster. Unreal how hard that thing fought. Good times!
Here's a pic of my buddy just the other day with a 4.5 pounder of of a neighborhood pond

Attachments

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we're back and all I can say is wow...my lady caught her very first fish. Well she had three in the boat, released at least 5 little guys. I had a very nice little 1.5 lb dancing rainbow on my rod and in the boat. Released a ton of little guys as well.

1378400869834.jpg

Mine is the larger of the three...not huge but that's not the point. Beautiful lake killer cabin and out on the water is always better than working.

1378400972205.jpg some views from the cabin.
1378401399569.jpg
1378401470479.jpg

Now the best part is the killer road getting to the lake...I will post some other pics of the road which I will be riding very soon.

Just a side road with 20 kms of winding undulating road. St the end is a sweet little old lady (a friends granny) who says she will feed me when I get there.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Fish Fry & Shower Swells.

That looked to be a fun filled trip, Nobody.
Haven't seen so much water for such a long time, apart from when I'm in the shower (!).
How was the fish ? Did you bake or fry ?
Thanks for those lovely, peaceful shots of the lake.
Take Care.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That looked to be a fun filled trip, Nobody.
Haven't seen so much water for such a long time, apart from when I'm in the shower (!).
How was the fish ? Did you bake or fry ?
Thanks for those lovely, peaceful shots of the lake.
Take Care.
Thanks doc...we pan fried the little ones and took the larger one to my father who doesn't fish hardly anymore. They were very tasty my friend.

As for the lake that is just a fraction of it...long and narrow about 9kms long, my lady and I are thinking of buying some retirement property because she fell in love with the area.

The area is called the "Caribou region" the lake is Loon lake 40 minutes outside of Cache Creek, BC Canada...the great North East of British Columbia.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Glad your back and had a great time buddy.

Looks like fun.
Been through that area a few times.
I love the country roads of that region.

Setup our goods transport before I get itchy hands and crack open this box of Ti goodies again for use as chopsticks ( great idea Stig ! ) with tonight Chinese dinner !!! :p:D
Give me a call later tonight bud !

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad your back and had a great time buddy.

Looks like fun.
Been through that area a few times.
I love the country roads of that region.

Setup our goods transport before I get itchy hands and crack open this box of Ti goodies again for use as chopsticks ( great idea Stig ! ) with tonight Chinese dinner !!! :p:D
Give me a call later tonight bud !

Yes glad to be home...first thing I did was check on my RC lol.

I will set up with Dood next week...for the transfer. Call you later after dinner.:cool:

·
Registered
897 Posts
That looks like a killer place nobody, nice fish too! Trout are great fun to catch. What were you using? Spinners, salmon eggs?

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks like a killer place nobody, nice fish too! Trout are great fun to catch. What were you using? Spinners, salmon eggs?

Thanks as I've never had any luck with spinners and since it was her first time I set her up with a flatfish lure. The lure is really just meant to piss off the fish to strike.

I myself have been fly fishing for years so I used a leaded line to get down to about 25 feet and good ol' Doc Spratley worked just fine...

Another good option is a wedding band and a worm for most BC fishing lakes I just hate all the apparatus so I always tend to go with the fly rod.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks as I've never had any luck with spinners and since it was her first time I set her up with a flatfish lure. The lure is really just meant to piss off the fish to strike.

I myself have been fly fishing for years so I used a leaded line to get down to about 25 feet and good ol' Doc Spratley worked just fine...

Another good option is a wedding band and a worm for most BC fishing lakes I just hate all the apparatus so I always tend to go with the fly rod.
Thats interesting, around here, theres one lake/river system that we can do pretty good on just spinners, last time I went there were two or three trout following my spinner right up to the boat like every cast, but could never get them to strike! So whats a wedding band? Just a slip weight?

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats interesting, around here, theres one lake/river system that we can do pretty good on just spinners, last time I went there were two or three trout following my spinner right up to the boat like every cast, but could never get them to strike! So whats a wedding band? Just a slip weight?

I was in bike mode when I got home...but since it's been thunder and lightning all day, plus all this fish talk makes me want to get back out there.

1378423408556.jpg
Flatfish with a 5ft leader and just a swivel. Great light setup with a light action spinning rod/reel with 6lb test monofilament.
1378423520227.jpg
Look closely at the nose of the lure...lots of little teeth marks, a very well used flatfish.;)
1378423614001.jpg
This the one that the gf was using the colouring is meant to represent a leech which are very predominant in out BC lakes.
1378424205470.jpg
Wedding band...used usually with bait preferably a worm.
1378424281958.jpg
A lot of the times people will use this, it's a flasher used to draw the wedding band very deep sometimes at much as 70ft with a worm and lots of weight but there tends to be minimal fight from the trout.

That's why I'm mostly fly fish, the lightness of the setup makes for some very exciting fishing...especially a 2lb rainbow and up...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ok, I see now, ive never used those wedding band deals, seems like alot of people use those while trolling for pike around here. Thats a cool rig, I'm sure with a fat night crawler on there you would do well. I know, fishing is one of my favorite things to do, I try to fish everyday somewhere, I have a job where I'm in a different place everyday, so I usually can. Man, for largemouth the lightest line I use is 10lb braid, all the way up to 65lb on my baitcaster. With 6lb mono, you've really got to know how to fight him! Thats great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts