RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to a guy on the VFRdiscussion.com forum (Sebspeed) I now have a supertrick clutch cover. I ended up using Duplicolor Metalcast paint on the pressure plate (oven baked it) and stainless bolts and washers on the clutch springs. Color goes great with the RWB theme of the 07 model.

He said he can do them for the RC's if anyone is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153146774773567

For Jetfuel - got this one this morning....:p

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
How about a pic for those of us who refuse to go down the facebook-rabbit-hole :D

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
i want that clutch cover for my RC! would looks sweet with a slipper clutch!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
PM me what the damage is on one of those....:rolleyes::)

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Dead serious. Ill have one of these for RC51 if its available, cash ready.

My Yoyodyne slipper is begging for this.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy who does them is Sebspeed on the VFRdiscussion .com forum. He wants 250 plus return shipping and you supply the clutch cover. He told me he could do them for the RC. Let him know I told you about it. He's also got a facebook page I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Look up Sebspeed on FB, I think it's on there. I looked into this a while back and Seb said he could make them to fit an RC51 if there's demand, but you can't easily make it from the original magnesium cover - ideally needs to be an aluminium one to start with. He's done a lot of these for VFRs.

I don't want a slipper clutch (I prefer the added fun of rev matching. :D) so it wouldn't be anything but to show my standard clutch basket spinning on my SP and on the VFR I have it would be hidden behind a panel, plus I'd need an aluminium donor for the SP, so I decided not to pursue this cool modification. I quite like the HRC magnesium cover as original. :D

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
What kind of painting have you had your pressure plate?
Anodized or powder coated?

I was thinking on doing it on my brother's CBR but a couple of anodizers told me they cannot anodize cast aluminum cause it will chip off

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of painting have you had your pressure plate?
Anodized or powder coated?

I was thinking on doing it on my brother's CBR but a couple of anodizers told me they cannot anodize cast aluminum cause it will chip off

I roughed up the pressure plate outside in a sand blaster and painted it with Duplicolor metal cast paint. I then baked in on the grill for 1/2 hour at about 275 deg.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've thought about doing something like that but in the end I can't take the risk of paint chipping off from hot oil inside the crankcases......
I'm gonna keep an eye on it. One of the reasons I sand blasted the outside of the pressure plate to give the paint something to bite to. If it looks like it may chip off I'll pull it and have it polished and use colored bolts and washers or something. Sebspeed (the guy making the covers) suggested using the Duplicolor.

Nick

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
I use Duplicolor's rattle cans since 2000 and they are actually very good.
However, my doubts are focusing on the aluminum's big stretch under heat that a paint layer cannot keep up with. Plus the hot oil will eventually dig in the paint.

Sand blasting/sanding the part helps a lot, I agree.....even a primer specifically for aluminum parts would help even more. Nevertheless my doubts aren't gone

Thanks a lot for the info anyways

1 - 16 of 16 Posts