RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to tell the cop what an asshole he was for stopping me but instead I had to thank him for not writting me up for an illegal exhaust system.

Now I have to go to court and show them a red reflector.
Any ideas for a legal red refucktor on the back of my bike?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yo V2 ...I use red reflector bolts to hold my plate on. Works here in Texas....think I paid $.50 cents each for them....I have a few extra if you need some !

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Hey V2, in the last year I've been pulled over, in every vehicle I own, (3) more than in the last decade. These CA police and CHP are on a revenue collecting rampage. Even a free fix-it ticket cost's $25 administrative fee. Friggin boils my blood! I believe they are profiling nice looking vehicles, thinking we can afford these chickenshit tickets and admin fee's. I'm talking about technical things like no front licence plate, middle brake light not working, and we have a couple trick intersections that seem to invite the unknowing into a violation.
Watch out in CA, cause the authorities are out there looking for any oppurtunity to squeeze $$$ right out of your wallet...

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Pretty much every state is trying to prosper, one citation at a time.
The cops here get to be a pain in the butt every month (quota time).
That's why I try to ride in the country.

Plus we have may too many old people here that should not be driving.
Especially from November to May when they winter down here.
Next month, most will gone except for the permanent geezers.
Then the cops will start microwaving everything in sight to make up for the loss of tourist revenue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How was your exhaust illegal
This is California. All after market exhausts are becoming illegal. I told the cop that the cans had baffles in them. He said "I doubt if they are legal. They look like after market exhausts to me".

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
wow.....unbelievable. sorry you have to deal with this headache, but i guess he could have hit you with a worse ticket. The states are really stretching and trying to pull in revenue....its getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow, that's absolutely amazing that someone actually cares enough to 1) read the minutia of motor vehicle laws re: reflectors and 2) pull you over for something that silly. What a PITA. Were all the loiterers at every 7-11 hiding inside? What about going 36 in a 35 zone? Or legitimate crimes/infractions. Amazing.

And yes, very surprising nothing was said about the exhaust... nothing sounds quite like the chest-hitting thud-thud-thud of those cans!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I get the ones that are reflector bolts, they go in the license plate holes. Most shops around here have them for like 50 cents each. they come in amber, green blue, red and clear

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Wow, that's absolutely amazing that someone actually cares enough to 1) read the minutia of motor vehicle laws re: reflectors and 2) pull you over for something that silly. What a PITA. Were all the loiterers at every 7-11 hiding inside? What about going 36 in a 35 zone? Or legitimate crimes/infractions. Amazing.

And yes, very surprising nothing was said about the exhaust... nothing sounds quite like the chest-hitting thud-thud-thud of those cans!
Not to mention the illegal aliens everywhere in Nazi Pelosi land.....sorry you were harassed.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I'm pretty sure that E4 stamp on our stock exhaust is what makes or breaks it. I'm definatly getting aftermarket exhaust, but keeping my stock stuff for the ticket I'll probably get...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
These days cops are used as tax collectors instead of crime fighters.
I was thinking of selling my stock exhaust system but not now. I have a feeling I'm going to need it.
I found the little reflector bolts at my local bike shop.

·
Registered
158 Posts
you bike looks just like mine, and i have been able to survive the cops in north jerz/ny for the past year.. i'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hope they stay away from me. Thats some BS ticket! Go catch a thief or something.. jeesh.

ps: banzai mount satos - legal.. hahaha!!! not on this planet i think..

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I don't feel sorry for you.

Thats what you get for living in California. I would have packed my shit a long time ago. :D
Ahhhh, yes, that is a good point. CA is like it's own little liberal country with "forward thinking". Honestly tho, for the amount of nice roads, weather, and easy access to any kind of recreation you can think of, it's worth it for me. It takes a certain live and let live attitude. After growing up on a farm in MT, that took some getting used to.

I'm kinda waiting for some of our law enforcement members to weigh in on this...

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
By no means am I law enforcement but when does the lunacy stop in CA? Is the recreation really worth losing your ability to live as you please? At least you have sense to live in the North.

Cops here say "Nice bike, here is your speeding ticket" or "How fast have you had that thing? Since you seem to care about yourself with all of that gear, here is a warning" or my favorite...."How old are you and you ride this?" Take care and ride safe."

Not where is your fucking red reflector or your exhaust is illegal (as a Hardly Davidson rides by with straight pipes...). As I pay that ticket I would make my statement in court on the record that Officer Butthead can harass me for a reflector but can't even lift one finger to arrest one illegal alien....get your priorities straight California!!!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Well said madbuyer! I suppose I'm a little more complacent, but have not forgotten what's right, wrong, and downright petty. The problem is more about $$$, self-survival, job security; when it comes to any government body, especially among the higher-up's and muckety-mucks with the power to sway legislation. Like lobbiests, who can represent ANY kind of member driven movement. Think of Sierra Club, or Green Peace, or PITA...
Right and Wrong can easily take a back seat

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not sure if it would be legal, but could you just put a stripe of 3M Red reflective tape under the "OHSO FST"

Or would you get in trouble for putting stuff like that directly on your license plate.

The reflector bolts would be a good clean way of doing it too, cheap, quick, and if it works, great!! Sometimes I wonder if these guys are simply to busy trying to impress their co-workers than serve the communities they swore they would. Somewhere in between making their oaths and roadside things ended up getting lost in translation. "In public interest" seems to have taken a side step for....man....I don't even know....just lost for words with that ticket....good on you for biting your tongue.

Good luck down their in Cali, and keep the legislation flowing, it'll help keep us tourists from getting our bikes packed up on a flat deck when we visit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts